The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ages ago - he blew my mind with wakoo contribution on Mingus - Me , Myself and eye ..... first time when I hear it ;

do I need to say that my mind is still blown ?

;)

btw. - whenever I post some muzak here , it's rarely new addition - more illustration of mood in a moment ........

so - I'm always in god mood :clown:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Earl Fatha Hines :sing: :worship::djinn:

(No one knows where the "Fatha" nickname came from, but one of the true jazz greats.)

PS. So great I seem to have posted him twice! :cheerful:

Attachments

• earlfathahines.jpg
    earlfathahines.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I was going to buy a twisted pear dac, however since my dvd player crashed, I am thinking this will make a very good replacement considering my cd player is a 1994 Pioneer cd player, which obviously does not have xlr output. This will open the door to bride of son of zen and many other designs.

We will see how the repair goes on the dvd player. I have identified one cap that definitely needs replacing and 2 other suspect ones. If that still does not fix it I will definitely be buying the oppo.
This is probably the first time I am hoping I can't fix something.:D

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no BOSOZ

make Jfet XCCSloadedcascodedwhoknowswhatspropernameofit Bal stage

predecessor of :Pumpkin:

make proper shunt PSU (one per channel) and feel nirvana

after that - go - build a yacht , or something else

as always - Humble ZM

but - do not forget that Metalman was first wakoo enough

later I just simplify it

and later - I made :Pumpkin: + Shunty

after that - go - build a yacht , or something else

Funny you should mention that. While a yacht might be a little ambitious. I did have a goal to build a Canadian designed canoe out of western red cedar. I can't wait till I get to that point when I have built everything and discover what I definitely like and don't like. By that time my children should be old enough to do the work for me (touch wood).

no BOSOZ

make Jfet XCCSloadedcascodedwhoknowswhatspropernameofit Bal stage

predecessor of :Pumpkin:

make proper shunt PSU (one per channel) and feel nirvana

I don't doubt it.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I was going to buy a twisted pear dac, however since my dvd player crashed, I am thinking this will make a very good replacement considering my cd player is a 1994 Pioneer cd player, which obviously does not have xlr output. This will open the door to bride of son of zen and many other designs.

We will see how the repair goes on the dvd player. I have identified one cap that definitely needs replacing and 2 other suspect ones. If that still does not fix it I will definitely be buying the oppo.
This is probably the first time I am hoping I can't fix something.:D

For the price of the twisted pair kit, I would consider the Oppo BDP-95.

However, I've been content with ripped stuff with a usb dac. Easier to find music for a person who is highly disorganized.

Dumb and a Half way update.

The 1.5 way is working out quite nicely. It is definitely an improvemenent over my old Richter Merlin speakers. Not sure if they beat my 2.5 way Usher speakers (they are in the garage still being completed).

Two things stand out with these speakers (so far at least).
1. Plucked acoustic guitar strings sound very nice
2. The bass is detailed and punchy - approaching the sound of my 2x10" Eden bass cab. Still quite a way to go to be as good as the 2x10" but definitely has some of the same quality.

On it's own it is not that great. The bass is lacking. 1.5 way is a big improvement.
I have not tried the Eminence 15" approach yet.

Mind you this is all based on very little break in and using very old equipment (ie cd player + amp). Things may improve further once I get all of my gear out of the garage and into the house. As well as buy that oppo player

Another idea is to use these as a wide band midrange with Eminence 15" and RAAL 140-15D tweeter.

PS 3.6mH to 4mH seems about right for the 0.5 way.
Another thing worth trying is a phase plug mod

Last edited:
@ Jacco
I am a simple heart,
newly I had, nevertheless, an enjoyment, despite of empty fridge...
You certainly know austrian "Nockerl".They consider this as a delicatesse here.
On the other hand you also certainly know "oeufs brouillés", that's what froggies are eating on saturday morning after the friday night before.
Well the combinaison of the two above with a soupçon of 'olio di tartuffio'
was worth a try.
As Brillat used to say , sometimes the simplest things ....

Manu