The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Last year we enrolled our son in an intensive therapy program in the hope he could learn to speak a few words.
After 1 year and $70,000 in expenses he still can't speak a word.
I really don't know what else to do.
My heart really goes out to you, so unfair for all concerned, not the least your suffering innocent and beautiful children.
It seems that there are many, many co factors involved.
Genetics provides/causes a huge range of physiological variance, in all aspects of bodily uptake of nutrients, processing of nutrients and eliminations of toxic byproducts of physiological processes.
Couple this with variance with ability to exclude, process and eliminate external toxins and we have varying outcomes.
It seems that Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease (Autism has similarities) are toxic conditions, and if not too far embedded are substantially reversible by application of corrective diet and elimination of toxic sensitisers.
Extended chewing of food to initiate salivary digestion is one first key to try/instigate.
Modern pesticides even in trace amounts are shown to cause gut microbiome disturbance and this has far reaching consequential effects....organic food sources are helpful here.
Another subject that I have not seen mentioned in any medical studies is the influence of natural ground radiations/man made emr, subjects that are important and generally overlooked/dismissed.

Dan.

A naturopath mate posted this on FB the other day -
Learning.png
https://www.facebook.com/Edtechandmobilelearning/
A Handy Chart Featuring Over 30 iPad Apps for Students with Special Needs ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning

Dan.

Apalling documentary, from the comments section -
The current psychiatric community is no different, today's icicle is pills given out as a cure all for any ailment - with little or no regard for the long-term cost or side-effects. Psychiatrists should quite simply not be allowed to be entitled Doctors, since they repeatedly show no regard for patient safety, ability to treat them or even treat extreme cases with basic dignity. They're just keeping themselves fed NOT doing science or healing!
Cures is bad for business, time for idiots practicing 'psychiatry' to be banned.
Get to the root causes like gut microbiome, food sensitivities, mineral deficiencies and psychology reprogramming therapy to undo adverse experiences and learn new behaviours.
Interesting article in New Scientist magazine revealed that high majority of psychiatrists studied in order to understand their own mental problems.....lunatics running the asylum.
So much harm done to so many.

Dan.

Whether you agree or disagree has no relevance whether it is a good documentary.

The documentary highlights the fact that, the world is driven by egocentric fools.

I can tell you nothing much has changed,

That's for sure.

Aside from that, this history is the reason that I have a particular distaste for unscientific medical fads of any kind -- though I'm tolerant on many things that are harmless.

Realize that "medicine" overlaps but doesn't equal "science" . The overlap only started in the late 1800s and then gained more momentum after the discovery of penicillin (1928) the Salk vaccine (1952) DNA and molecular biology are making strong inroads into making modern medicine more scientific. But yes in the last 1/2 of the 20th century, modern medicine has had dramatic changes.

The horrible history of the lecher colonies, TB and insane asylums, and the millions of people who died due to plague and other diseases have been dramatically reduced. Indians wiped out by smallpox and Europe decimated by plague-- no more. That's real progress. We still have malaria and HIV and Ebola and Zika so not all the work is completed. Biological psychiatry has lagged but only by a few decades. Things really are changing. That change is the direct result of molecular, scientific understanding. At this point anti-science is anti progress.

There is an effective Ebola vaccine and a Zika vaccine is in the human trial stage.

Psychiatry has been hampered by Freud's legacy for decades.
Most of Sigmund's work is in the process of being proved wrong by Evolutionary Psychology but bear in mind that Freud did not do a single bit of scientific research on psychology and psychoanalysis. If looked at properly his writings are merely opinion pieces without any supporting research.

What is science?
There is a real science at all?

I fear that this has been sacrificed on the altar of economic interests.

Electronics has had the tremendous benefit of being guided by Maxwell's Equations which make real predictions which have been scientifically verified (repeatable) and so we have datasheets.

Neuroscience has these aspirations. Not there yet. If we could predict which treatments would work for a particular condition with LTSpice we would be very well off!

<JAB.R>