The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
till now that ham is finished , and bone of it is already in his nose ...... as always

Attachments

• bnp.jpg
    bnp.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 80
And they built the American canal and much of the railway system ... and roads all over the world!

Good one that ZM:

here is another:

"May the curse of Mary Malone and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you so far over the hills of Damnation that the Lord himself can't find you with a telescope." - Old Irish Curse

Different topic...just looking through some old prints and found this - the old Trident Clipper which I had back in the early 70s....v.v. fast - in a straight line! So was I ...back then!

Attachments

• trident clipper 1974.jpg
    trident clipper 1974.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Different topic...just looking through some old prints and found this - the old Trident Clipper which I had back in the early 70s....v.v. fast - in a straight line! So was I ...back then!

Built by Trident Cars in Woodbridge, Suffolk!!! Wow - I lived only a few miles away!!!

Only 125 total production - makes it rare!!! Same running gear as the A.C. Cobra - that's baaaaaaaaad aaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss!!!!

1967 Trident Clipper Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Built by Trident Cars in Woodbridge, Suffolk!!! Wow - I lived only a few miles away!!!

Only 125 total production - makes it rare!!! Same running gear as the A.C. Cobra - that's baaaaaaaaad aaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss!!!!

1967 Trident Clipper Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Chassis basically Austin Healy 3000! That one had a 289 Hi-Po 320bhp engine, twin Hollies, had been blueprinted and was the works production prototype. It was also converted to left hooker - sent to the US and crashed into a wall for safety warranty, rebuilt as a right hooker and road tested at 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds. It was the fastest road car at that time built in the UK under 7 litres. Stopping it was somewhat a problem and eventually it broke its timing chain. I rebuilt it replacing most of the pistons and all of the valves. Then it had the ford problem of head gaskets blowing between cylinders - warped heads etc so I dumped it with an enthusiast :devily::ashamed:as a 'project' and bought a Maserati 3500 Coupe with the proceeds. Slower but sweeeet.:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I dumped it with an enthusiast :devily::ashamed:as a 'project' and bought a Maserati 3500 Coupe with the proceeds. Slower but sweeeet.:)

Hmmmmmmm - is dis real - or is it Big Irish BS????
Clever - always up to mischief - will tell ya some that is true - only to sucker bet you in with stuff that isn't...... Me Uncle Tickle taught me well. Irish like Ital thingy's - all my Irish relatives here in da Colonies married Ital spouses and family get togethers get interesting. Soooooooooooooo - after sniffing for BS factor - I'm gonna sayyyyyyyyyyy - nice car there Mate!!!!! :D:D:D

Even if getting parts isa *itch..... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Dachshund Driver Drawing.jpg
    Dachshund Driver Drawing.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
You have to edit heavily - when you are 70 managing a Mac keyboard and mouse can exact life-threatening energy requirement - prior to typing. To wit, I did not repeat the fact that the Masser had a seized up crankshaft at the time as I had told you this earlier. Nor did I ever tell you that I got it going nicely and decided to do a refinish. THAT was the biggest mistake I ever made with a car. Those hand made alloy bodies were finished with a hand file and then given a high-rise filler in about 12 rock hard coats. I reverted to stripper solution and used about 15 Galls of the stuff. When I had finished I took it in bare alloy - corroding fast - to the paint shop which told me that to do a proper refinish would cost me at least x10 the original estimate for a respray over the original finish! In short I sold the engine and gearbox to another enthusiast (who took it to New Zealand) at an auto-jumble sale - the rolling unpainted chassis went to a guy who intended putting a Chevy power drive unit in it .... I just about broke even on the deals. I later got a real Maserati (Mistrale) moved to London and sold it in full working order as it was totally impractical in Central London. The Clipper was in Switzerland - last heard about some 5 years ago - being expensively and totally rebuilt by a solicitor who now owns it. He sent me a CD of all things Swiss regarding this - and other Clippers on the Continent.

Italians and Irish have a natural affinity. On my first trip I was at a dinner party with some 15 Italians none of whom I had met before. I was asked which part of England I was born in and told them that I was Irish. They had been friendly and polite to that point. From then on it became a family party. I loved every moment of the times I was in Italy....the natives could not have been kinder or more friendly.:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You have to edit heavily - when you are 70 managing a Mac keyboard and mouse can exact life-threatening energy requirement - prior to typing.
Ya seem to handle it very well!!! Of course being the the Pass Pub that doesn't count for much in the real world... :cool:

To wit, I did not repeat the fact that the Masser had a seized up crankshaft at the time as I had told you this earlier. Nor did I ever tell you that I got it going nicely and decided to do a refinish. THAT was the biggest mistake I ever made with a car. Those hand made alloy bodies were finished with a hand file and then given a high-rise filler in about 12 rock hard coats. I reverted to stripper solution and used about 15 Galls of the stuff. When I had finished I took it in bare alloy - corroding fast - to the paint shop which told me that to do a proper refinish would cost me at least x10 the original estimate for a respray over the original finish! In short I sold the engine and gearbox to another enthusiast (who took it to New Zealand) at an auto-jumble sale - the rolling unpainted chassis went to a guy who intended putting a Chevy power drive unit in it .... I just about broke even on the deals.
You can run into those problems on almost any of the hand built jobs. They were and are built up my master crafts people with remarkable skills honed over many years. At least it wasn't some hand built two seat aircraft that you would later attempt to actually fly because you would most likely not be figuring out how to not cut your fingers on your Mac keyboard. :D

I later got a real Maserati (Mistrale) moved to London and sold it in full working order as it was totally impractical in Central London. The Clipper was in Switzerland - last heard about some 5 years ago - being expensively and totally rebuilt by a solicitor who now owns it. He sent me a CD of all things Swiss regarding this - and other Clippers on the Continent.
Ahhhhhhh - suitable punishment for a solicitor - may they all burn in hell (and take the accounts with them). :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Italians and Irish have a natural affinity. On my first trip I was at a dinner party with some 15 Italians none of whom I had met before. I was asked which part of England I was born in and told them that I was Irish. They had been friendly and polite to that point. From then on it became a family party. I loved every moment of the times I was in Italy....the natives could not have been kinder or more friendly.:)

Italy is a wonderful place - May they all be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows their dead. :D:D:D

Now it is time to go get my 2nd coffee and hook it up to the IV rig...:eek:

Hmmmmmmm - is dis real - or is it Big Irish BS????
Clever - always up to mischief - ....................... :rolleyes:

Allllllll very much in the past and God be with the days! :)

NOW I have to get my TT working again now that the PS has been (professionally:down:) rebuilt.:) I find that hand spin starting the one shown above is now beyond my physical capability; and as for the wait for the speed to stabilize to 78 rpm...well, at my age I never will hear it play at the correct speed.

I also have a professionally cut slate 3 piece plinth with x2 sheets alloy interleaves to assemble - preferably without damaging the very brittle slate. I would have preferred to use pure carbon....but the price! A new unipivot is being experimented with using various wand materials including ss+SiC, pure carbon and a piece of flame tempered hexagonal bamboo (from a good - but broken) fly rod!! [Using the Swiss Navy ex. Battleship TT [AKA ex-Lenco) for these experimental purposes.]

I have responded to your recent request...invoice to follow.:D:D....Unless you agree to supply similar facilities that is.:cool: In that case I will reduce the invoice to equivalent value differential.:p:p:p

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
NOW I have to get my TT working again now that the PS has been (professionally:down:) rebuilt.:) I find that hand spin starting the one shown above is now beyond my physical capability;
I recall that I provided you with a rather clear suggestion that anything bigger than a fridge was a waste of time - now you are beginning to see my reasoning... :D:D:D
I also have a professionally cut slate 3 piece plinth with x2 sheets alloy interleaves to assemble - preferably without damaging the very brittle slate. I would have preferred to use pure carbon....but the price!
My solder splattered Mrs. has one of those pure carbon tidbits that she likes to wear on her finger - but I dare not offer it to you to test out. It is to small to make a decent TT out of - and I wish to live at least as long as you - and then some.... :rolleyes:

I never have understood all of the fuss about using slate type plinth things (stones in general). Sure - they have a lot mass which is desirable - but unless they damped they can pick up some nasty micro-phonic vibrations and spread those around to anything they are in contact with. I think that I will simply build me up a form for a mold and smelt down a bunch of that old solder I have laying around. That should only weigh a couple of hundred kilo's and will keep SWMBO from moving the bloody thing around to make room for her flower pots..... ;)

A new unipivot is being experimented with using various wand materials including ss+SiC, pure carbon and a piece of flame tempered hexagonal bamboo (from a good - but broken) fly rod!! [Using the Swiss Navy ex. Battleship TT [AKA ex-Lenco) for these experimental purposes.]
I have several golf club shafts that I keep eying as candidates - just as long as it isn't the #3 iron. I still love that one..... :D:D:D

I have responded to your recent request...invoice to follow.:D:D....Unless you agree to supply similar facilities that is.:cool: In that case I will reduce the invoice to equivalent value differential.:p:p:p
Thrifty Irish bassssssssstard!!!! My Uncle Tickle and I still send each other birthday and Christmas cards for $50. We don't spend the money - we save it and just send it back for another turn!!!! :D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
ya two Irish bstrdz can open TT thread here in Papaland , freely managed in same manner as Pub ;

for amusement of all of us .

unfortunately , I can't participate too much , off course , having hard duty of moderating this very thread

OK - I will stop barking about TT's and apologize for being a thread hog. I will now confine myself to Papa ZM OT BS - Hmmmmmmm...... maybe good acronym for that would be BSOTZM...... :D:D:D

Besides - we haven't heard anything from brianco since mention of $$$ wuz made. Either that or he is trying to figure out how to reduce the size of his drive motor to size of fridge..... :D:D:D