The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Estereo

Attachments

• stereo 001 (3000x2000).jpg
    stereo 001 (3000x2000).jpg
    739 KB · Views: 66
Stajo

I played with a few of these many years ago.....They are very flimsey but can sound reasonably respectable with a little work. My memory is hazy as I was not very keen. But here goes:

1.....A really good clean out of the bearings and some decent oil.
2......New springs for the suspension. Linn springs are probably best. I may still have a set or two in the garage. IF I can find them I will send them to you as a present. [I think I also have new suspension screws in copper. If you can find a sheet of stainless steel make a new top plate (use old one as a template)
3......A heavier plinth, but dont make it really heavy...about + 100% in the hardest wood / good birch ply.
4.......Throw away those dreadful Thorens arms and make/buy a decent unipivot. Or an old Grace 707 (which is one of those I used. They will not take a heavy tonearm too well. SME 3009 is fairly decent with that TT.).

If you get it right it should be as good as an older Linn Sondek....good for background music! But - I suspect - you may get the bug. IF you do and as a trial get an old Lenco and rebuild that. They can be brilliant with some work. Google "Lenco Heaven" and look at what some of those guys have done and what they say about them. AND you can find them in dumpsters, trash cans, car boot sales, thrift shops etc......there were thousands of them.

I'll look tomorrow and let you know what parts I find.

Good luck,:)

Brian

PS. You will need to play with the spring damping - the conical sponge is not the best way....experiment.

Last edited:
Brian! I really appreciate! I will follow your advises, this will be fun.

sheet of stainless steel make a new top plate
Easy. Buddy Blacksmith next block is an old MC-racer like me. Some coffeebread and he makes whatever I need. Why stainless steel? It sings like a bell. Thickness? What is the purpouse? Why not alu, copper, black steel etc?

I will look for oil, tonearms and... Lencos. Theres always some on local fleabay. I have no idea what to look for.

Bug. Luckily I have lots of them. They compete.

Thanx!

/Staffan

Joined 2006
Paid Member
c2c.............

You been chewing de dogz again?:)

Have been busy swinging from branch to branch of the family tree...

Looks like 1st crazy ancestor got off the boat around 1636 - about six years after the Pilgrims ...

Looks as if we might have had a couple of bad actors in the family - so that explains a lot about my DNA..... (not a big surprise to you I'm sure).

"Other Salem physicans were George ******** who settled in the town in 1636 and sat on the gallows with a rope around his neck in 1668, for an unnatural crime."

And found one with the 1st name of "Ebenezer" - who I think they might have made a movie about...... (Bah - Humbug!!) :eek:

I get to have a chat with a new cousin tomorrow on the telephone thingy so I'm looking forward to that.:cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Brian! I really appreciate! I will follow your advises, this will be fun.

I will look for oil, tonearms and... Lencos. Theres always some on local fleabay. I have no idea what to look for.

Bug. Luckily I have lots of them. They compete.

Thanx!

/Staffan

As Brian suggested - check out Lenco Heaven http://www.lencoheaven.net/ for ideas and suggestions. That will keep you busy for weeks - if not months.... :D:D:D

A model 75 is what most people shoot for - but there are others to use as well.;)

..........Just make sure that it is a heavy platter type! Those are all much the same.;)

[Let c2c an me know when you have one..........we can then advise on how to use it without the 'lectric motor! hydrolic drive is the answer.....we have good ideas........ but you will need to move to a house beside a waterfall! :D:D:D]

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and remember - bad thing ( at least last time I checked , it was ) about PTP Lenco chassis solution is - idler leaned on motor shaft and platter all the time

it need to be in rest position - free of any contact , when not in use

and , yes - 75 and 78 are most often numbers , be it Lenco or (re-badged) Goldring (for Yanks)

not sure for Goldring numbering , but you'll manage

I like them more then 301 or 401 , even if I'm not saying that they're better

Joined 2006
Paid Member

[Let c2c an me know when you have one..........we can then advise on how to use it without the 'lectric motor! hydrolic drive is the answer.....we have good ideas........ but you will need to move to a house beside a waterfall! :D:D:D]

Waterfall wound up not being such good idea..... viscosity of water changes with temperature and that would cause sum problems... Buuuuuuut - if ya toss in a fish tank heater then problem solved.... ;)

The problem I had with that iz that I couldn't find a heater big enough to heat waterfall....... and there wuz all of thoze environmental impact reports to fill out..... sigh.... I'm still big dummy..... :rolleyes: