The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread - Page 510 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 12:10 AM   #5091
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member
 
brianco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Built by Trident Cars in Woodbridge, Suffolk!!! Wow - I lived only a few miles away!!!

Only 125 total production - makes it rare!!! Same running gear as the A.C. Cobra - that's baaaaaaaaad aaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss!!!!

1967 Trident Clipper Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com
Chassis basically Austin Healy 3000! That one had a 289 Hi-Po 320bhp engine, twin Hollies, had been blueprinted and was the works production prototype. It was also converted to left hooker - sent to the US and crashed into a wall for safety warranty, rebuilt as a right hooker and road tested at 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds. It was the fastest road car at that time built in the UK under 7 litres. Stopping it was somewhat a problem and eventually it broke its timing chain. I rebuilt it replacing most of the pistons and all of the valves. Then it had the ford problem of head gaskets blowing between cylinders - warped heads etc so I dumped it with an enthusiast as a 'project' and bought a Maserati 3500 Coupe with the proceeds. Slower but sweeeet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:24 AM   #5092
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
yadayada

it's hard to imagine how then clever you are , when drunk .....

__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:40 AM   #5093
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
I dumped it with an enthusiast as a 'project' and bought a Maserati 3500 Coupe with the proceeds. Slower but sweeeet.
Hmmmmmmm - is dis real - or is it Big Irish BS????
Clever - always up to mischief - will tell ya some that is true - only to sucker bet you in with stuff that isn't...... Me Uncle Tickle taught me well. Irish like Ital thingy's - all my Irish relatives here in da Colonies married Ital spouses and family get togethers get interesting. Soooooooooooooo - after sniffing for BS factor - I'm gonna sayyyyyyyyyyy - nice car there Mate!!!!!

Even if getting parts isa *itch.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dachshund Driver Drawing.jpg (74.9 KB, 69 views)
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"

Last edited by c2cthomas; 12th April 2012 at 12:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:07 AM   #5094
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member
 
brianco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
You have to edit heavily - when you are 70 managing a Mac keyboard and mouse can exact life-threatening energy requirement - prior to typing. To wit, I did not repeat the fact that the Masser had a seized up crankshaft at the time as I had told you this earlier. Nor did I ever tell you that I got it going nicely and decided to do a refinish. THAT was the biggest mistake I ever made with a car. Those hand made alloy bodies were finished with a hand file and then given a high-rise filler in about 12 rock hard coats. I reverted to stripper solution and used about 15 Galls of the stuff. When I had finished I took it in bare alloy - corroding fast - to the paint shop which told me that to do a proper refinish would cost me at least x10 the original estimate for a respray over the original finish! In short I sold the engine and gearbox to another enthusiast (who took it to New Zealand) at an auto-jumble sale - the rolling unpainted chassis went to a guy who intended putting a Chevy power drive unit in it .... I just about broke even on the deals. I later got a real Maserati (Mistrale) moved to London and sold it in full working order as it was totally impractical in Central London. The Clipper was in Switzerland - last heard about some 5 years ago - being expensively and totally rebuilt by a solicitor who now owns it. He sent me a CD of all things Swiss regarding this - and other Clippers on the Continent.

Italians and Irish have a natural affinity. On my first trip I was at a dinner party with some 15 Italians none of whom I had met before. I was asked which part of England I was born in and told them that I was Irish. They had been friendly and polite to that point. From then on it became a family party. I loved every moment of the times I was in Italy....the natives could not have been kinder or more friendly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:29 PM   #5095
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
You have to edit heavily - when you are 70 managing a Mac keyboard and mouse can exact life-threatening energy requirement - prior to typing.
Ya seem to handle it very well!!! Of course being the the Pass Pub that doesn't count for much in the real world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
To wit, I did not repeat the fact that the Masser had a seized up crankshaft at the time as I had told you this earlier. Nor did I ever tell you that I got it going nicely and decided to do a refinish. THAT was the biggest mistake I ever made with a car. Those hand made alloy bodies were finished with a hand file and then given a high-rise filler in about 12 rock hard coats. I reverted to stripper solution and used about 15 Galls of the stuff. When I had finished I took it in bare alloy - corroding fast - to the paint shop which told me that to do a proper refinish would cost me at least x10 the original estimate for a respray over the original finish! In short I sold the engine and gearbox to another enthusiast (who took it to New Zealand) at an auto-jumble sale - the rolling unpainted chassis went to a guy who intended putting a Chevy power drive unit in it .... I just about broke even on the deals.
You can run into those problems on almost any of the hand built jobs. They were and are built up my master crafts people with remarkable skills honed over many years. At least it wasn't some hand built two seat aircraft that you would later attempt to actually fly because you would most likely not be figuring out how to not cut your fingers on your Mac keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
I later got a real Maserati (Mistrale) moved to London and sold it in full working order as it was totally impractical in Central London. The Clipper was in Switzerland - last heard about some 5 years ago - being expensively and totally rebuilt by a solicitor who now owns it. He sent me a CD of all things Swiss regarding this - and other Clippers on the Continent.
Ahhhhhhh - suitable punishment for a solicitor - may they all burn in hell (and take the accounts with them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Italians and Irish have a natural affinity. On my first trip I was at a dinner party with some 15 Italians none of whom I had met before. I was asked which part of England I was born in and told them that I was Irish. They had been friendly and polite to that point. From then on it became a family party. I loved every moment of the times I was in Italy....the natives could not have been kinder or more friendly.
Italy is a wonderful place - May they all be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows their dead.

Now it is time to go get my 2nd coffee and hook it up to the IV rig...
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:46 PM   #5096
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member
 
brianco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Hmmmmmmm - is dis real - or is it Big Irish BS????
Clever - always up to mischief - .......................
Allllllll very much in the past and God be with the days!

NOW I have to get my TT working again now that the PS has been (professionally) rebuilt. I find that hand spin starting the one shown above is now beyond my physical capability; and as for the wait for the speed to stabilize to 78 rpm...well, at my age I never will hear it play at the correct speed.

I also have a professionally cut slate 3 piece plinth with x2 sheets alloy interleaves to assemble - preferably without damaging the very brittle slate. I would have preferred to use pure carbon....but the price! A new unipivot is being experimented with using various wand materials including ss+SiC, pure carbon and a piece of flame tempered hexagonal bamboo (from a good - but broken) fly rod!! [Using the Swiss Navy ex. Battleship TT [AKA ex-Lenco) for these experimental purposes.]

I have responded to your recent request...invoice to follow.....Unless you agree to supply similar facilities that is. In that case I will reduce the invoice to equivalent value differential.

Last edited by brianco; 12th April 2012 at 12:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 01:16 PM   #5097
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
NOW I have to get my TT working again now that the PS has been (professionally) rebuilt. I find that hand spin starting the one shown above is now beyond my physical capability;
I recall that I provided you with a rather clear suggestion that anything bigger than a fridge was a waste of time - now you are beginning to see my reasoning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
I also have a professionally cut slate 3 piece plinth with x2 sheets alloy interleaves to assemble - preferably without damaging the very brittle slate. I would have preferred to use pure carbon....but the price!
My solder splattered Mrs. has one of those pure carbon tidbits that she likes to wear on her finger - but I dare not offer it to you to test out. It is to small to make a decent TT out of - and I wish to live at least as long as you - and then some....

I never have understood all of the fuss about using slate type plinth things (stones in general). Sure - they have a lot mass which is desirable - but unless they damped they can pick up some nasty micro-phonic vibrations and spread those around to anything they are in contact with. I think that I will simply build me up a form for a mold and smelt down a bunch of that old solder I have laying around. That should only weigh a couple of hundred kilo's and will keep SWMBO from moving the bloody thing around to make room for her flower pots.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
A new unipivot is being experimented with using various wand materials including ss+SiC, pure carbon and a piece of flame tempered hexagonal bamboo (from a good - but broken) fly rod!! [Using the Swiss Navy ex. Battleship TT [AKA ex-Lenco) for these experimental purposes.]
I have several golf club shafts that I keep eying as candidates - just as long as it isn't the #3 iron. I still love that one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
I have responded to your recent request...invoice to follow.....Unless you agree to supply similar facilities that is. In that case I will reduce the invoice to equivalent value differential.
Thrifty Irish bassssssssstard!!!! My Uncle Tickle and I still send each other birthday and Christmas cards for $50. We don't spend the money - we save it and just send it back for another turn!!!!
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 02:35 PM   #5098
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
ya two Irish bstrdz can open TT thread here in Papaland , freely managed in same manner as Pub ;

for amusement of all of us .


unfortunately , I can't participate too much , off course , having hard duty of moderating this very thread
Attached Images
File Type: gif crazy.gif (4.9 KB, 45 views)
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 03:13 PM   #5099
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
ya two Irish bstrdz can open TT thread here in Papaland , freely managed in same manner as Pub ;

for amusement of all of us .


unfortunately , I can't participate too much , off course , having hard duty of moderating this very thread
OK - I will stop barking about TT's and apologize for being a thread hog. I will now confine myself to Papa ZM OT BS - Hmmmmmmm...... maybe good acronym for that would be BSOTZM......

Besides - we haven't heard anything from brianco since mention of $$$ wuz made. Either that or he is trying to figure out how to reduce the size of his drive motor to size of fridge.....
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 03:43 PM   #5100
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
God Forbid !!!! ........ nothing against TT talk , but I think it's waste keeping it buried in Pub

it deserve own TT Pub
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2