The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread - Page 500 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 02:29 AM   #4991
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Eh - got sum ideas fer ya - but will have to wait until tomorrow. Sweet dreams thinking of crazy way to play vinyl thingy's.
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive – but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:41 AM   #4992
diyAudio Member
 
Bksabath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Me thiking if worth spending loads of dosh on this when one can buy ready made ting
ballance the satisfaction of I MADE THIS

Is Got to be I made this so far pictures tomorows.

I like idea of granite it makes nice front pannels for Papa FiFi amps as well
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 03:57 AM   #4993
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Thought this tread was to stay off topic with in topic thing and specially conceived to alleviate my boredom at work and most probably figment of my immagination but any way you got me started so get same more wacco raving
Papa doesn't make TT's so how much more OT can you get than that? But don't wanna hog to much more of ZM thread - if we keep this discussion up for something real then we for sure need to abandon this ship and jump on something else that floats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Being trying to make base suspended on opposite magnets unless magnets are spinning
I can not get the thing stable have not given up jet and trying to use repelling magnets at corners as well
Wanting to use magnets all over da place is easier than actually using magnets in a manner that works and doesn't muck up the other things around them. This is more difficult than it 1st appears and you will need to do some study about magnetic shielding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Also in my head tangent Arm with graphite and magnet duda to keep arm floating
But also thought on how nicely the magnets inside cartridge interact with the rest of all those magnets
Platter would have to be pretty thick to be on magnetic bearing if one thinks how close cartridge gets to centre spindle.
I've had waaaaaay toooooo much fun with high power magnets ever since swiping them outta magnetron and klystron tubz when youngster in Navy - and I went even more down hill in later life!!!! Magnets know no master - only agree to do things when they feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
And granite is magnetic as well

I will have to invent different kind of cartridge strain gauge like or one of those silicon chip laser trimmed pressure sensors thingie.
I wuz thinking about vibrating thingie - tut that's gonna be in the advanced upgrade model - well that and the fact that it will take me a couple of years to see if the damn thing actually works. Duo Lateral PSDs | Position Sensing Detectors | Silicon Photodiodes | OSI Optoelectronics

And then there will be a need of different sorta tone arm - and then that gets me into cantilever suspensions and just how dependent the entire TT chain is on that little hunka plastic (or rubber - or whale blubber - what ever).
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive – but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 04:55 AM   #4994
diyAudio Member
 
Bksabath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Some body I will never understand why the need to complicate things
Invented the magnet and made shure that they are never stable

But make thing spinn and they are pretty good got same experience on generator for BNFL subsidiary
basicaly a 500 Kg drumm spinning at 30000 rpm (in vacum) to transform kinetic in to 4.7 Kw of power (if no power demand thing would carry on spinning for a week or more)
with advent of better Bateries, Solar and reduced power demands by comunication station that got scrapped.

About hogin ZM tread Just take leaf of his and chum posts.
evvery so often drop hints on how much you are loving me or how tittilating you find my bedy skinny legs.
Probably I would get arested for wearing shorts but no one need to know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:20 PM   #4995
diyAudio Member
 
Bksabath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Did I manage to kill this tread?

Any way turn table idea.
On standard belt pull platter towards motor. Motor and platter need to be on rigid frame.
Arm need to be at fixed distance from platter so end up being on rigid frame with motor and pick up vibration
With idler mass
Motor and idler on same cradle
Pull forces on platter are 180 degree and cancel out
Belt tension provided by distance of motor to idler
If those on separate frame this can float and always adjust itself to equilibrium
Only forces seen by platter cause rotation

Motor not longer coupled to platter / arm
Vibration can be easily damped by belt
Different size pulleys on motor and idler shift resonant frequency
Idler wheel can be connected to large mass and make Flywheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turntable .jpg (215.4 KB, 44 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:27 PM   #4996
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Some body I will never understand why the need to complicate things
Invented the magnet and made shure that they are never stable

But make thing spinn and they are pretty good got same experience on generator for BNFL subsidiary
basicaly a 500 Kg drumm spinning at 30000 rpm (in vacum) to transform kinetic in to 4.7 Kw of power (if no power demand thing would carry on spinning for a week or more)
with advent of better Bateries, Solar and reduced power demands by comunication station that got scrapped.

About hogin ZM tread Just take leaf of his and chum posts.
evvery so often drop hints on how much you are loving me or how tittilating you find my bedy skinny legs.
Probably I would get arested for wearing shorts but no one need to know.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!! Ya only got 4.7Kw outta 500Kg drum at 30Krpm?
That seems a little low...... Now I'm tempted to go break out Newtons papers and a little scratch pad and crunch some numbers. But - as you have said they tossed it onto the rubbish pile that would be a waste of time.
OTOH - if we could squeeze a few more RPM's out of her we might be able to use it as a motor source for TT. It will take one heck of a gear reduction scheme - but hey - over here at the dummy table we think up cwrazy BS like that!!!

I'm thinking (just a suspicion mind you) that you are pretty bright guy trying to sneak over to dummies table......
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive – but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:39 PM   #4997
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Did I manage to kill this tread?

Any way turn table idea.
On standard belt pull platter towards motor. Motor and platter need to be on rigid frame.
Arm need to be at fixed distance from platter so end up being on rigid frame with motor and pick up vibration
With idler mass
Motor and idler on same cradle
Pull forces on platter are 180 degree and cancel out
Belt tension provided by distance of motor to idler
If those on separate frame this can float and always adjust itself to equilibrium
Only forces seen by platter cause rotation

Motor not longer coupled to platter / arm
Vibration can be easily damped by belt
Different size pulleys on motor and idler shift resonant frequency
Idler wheel can be connected to large mass and make Flywheel
Been there - thought about that - and is good idea. Dual belts have been done by others but I'm not sure that they did it your way. Under ideal conditions you are right about things canceling each other out - but there are some other things to consider. Ya gotta have - hmmmm.

On second thought maybe I should send ya a PM (maybe about 50 of 'em) because if I get barking about this then I will for sure be hogging ZM's tread!!! Plus it would be a real discussion rather than my usual stuuuuuupid stuff and that would ruin my reputation as big dummy.

Plussssssssss - there areeeeeeee other eyes that scan these silly pages. The next thing we know someone will have goofy clone TT in a Papa case with a granite plinth and a ZM logo and that would really pizzzzzzz me off!!!
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive – but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:44 PM   #4998
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You implying others are able to understand one syllable of this thread ?
Most of the time, none of us here grasp the chicken-chinese we post.
__________________
The buck stops Here
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:47 PM   #4999
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
I'm dumb
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:55 PM   #5000
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member
 
c2cthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near "Music City" (Nashville Tennessee)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
You implying others are able to understand one syllable of this thread ?
Most of the time, none of us here grasp the chicken-chinese we post.
Whaaaaaaaat? Ya don't know that Newton fella???? Makes sum pretty good chewy things outta figs....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig-newton-recipe-12.jpg (175.1 KB, 39 views)
__________________
DIY audio can be expensive – but getting to see things go up in smoke - that's priceless!!!! ..... "whatever - call it brainfart of Mighty ZM"
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2