The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Let's see, Australia is :

- One big fooking desert, which they named the outback.

We actually call it the Great Sandy Desert.....yep very original

We also have a wonderful reef (albeit slowly dying now) stretching almost two-thirds of the Queensland coastline. This reef, is what mother nature gave to the sea-life as a barrier from the Pacific Ocean.......and now have a guess how we aussies named it.....The Great Barrier Reef!

I think you can see a trend starting to build here right?

PS. I am proud to be an Australian and an immigrant but sadly I now work in Hong Kong battling the concrete jungle and pay exorbitant amount of rent for an apartment that is not much bigger than a typical Australian home lounge. :eek:

Now you're just taking the p;ss. hahaha

And somehow over the decades, the trend is, we still beat you at cricket, rugby league, and a whole heap of other sports, with a significantly smaller population to select from.
Hahahaha

Well, I am German and as such I can say two things:
I don't really care who you beat in Cricket, it's a stupid game.
And we beat you at Football any day of any week, just like we do the English. :)
I found that the English are world leaders at inventing sports which they then teach to everybody only to find out that everybody is better at those sports than they are themselves.

On a very much less light note one of my nephews is on autistic spectrum and it is no picnic.
Also the reason he is the only one who is baptised. Reason being that when my sister moved from Oz back to Germany the best school for autistic children was a rare catholic one and that was an entry requirement.
He finished school now but struggles to find a decent apprenticeship.

Sorry to put a downer on your day but this is what is happening, to worsen your day just add vaccines into the equation.

Vaccines combined with pesticides/chemicals have caused an epidemic of autism and other health effects with predictions of autism rate of 50% by 2025 if things are not changed :eek:.

More reason we need to develop a vaccine against the serious brain virus that makes people think vaccines cause autism -- is that Zika?

More reason we need to develop a vaccine against the serious brain virus that makes people think vaccines cause autism -- is that Zika?

The silicon valley nerd child autism connection is stronger that this.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/articl...ines-and-Autism-A-Tale-of-Shifting-Hypotheses

Twenty epidemiologic studies have shown that neither thimerosal nor MMR vaccine causes autism. These studies have been performed in several countries by many different investigators who have employed a multitude of epidemiologic and statistical methods. The large size of the studied populations has afforded a level of statistical power sufficient to detect even rare associations. These studies, in concert with the biological implausibility that vaccines overwhelm a child's immune system, have effectively dismissed the notion that vaccines cause autism. Further studies on the cause or causes of autism should focus on more-promising leads.

Last edited:
The genetic basis for autism has been estimated at 90% according to: http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v12/n1/full/4001896a.html . The scientific literature supporting this is extensive but this remains an active area of interest. This concept has been well recognized for well over a decade: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2756414/ , http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/113/5/e472.full

By "genetic" though we shouldn't assume "inherited" in traditional sense because viruses/retroviruses use the genetic machinery etc. The point is that for all the people and families whose lives are so affected, we need to look at actual causes and possibilities for treatment hopefully cure some day.

<JAB.R>

Last year we enrolled our son in an intensive therapy program in the hope he could learn to speak a few words.
After 1 year and $70,000 in expenses he still can't speak a word.
I really don't know what else to do.

Not sure what the program is/was, but consider the goal being communication rather than words per se.
"PECS" (picture based communication) is something to consider, perhaps with a tablet that can be used to point to things he wants/needs.
In some forms of autism, music can be used to communicate.
Very very expensive, and a drain on the entire family...