First Watt F1 Build with boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm building a pair of F1's over the holiday break. Below are pictures of the main Amp board.

I'm looking for advice on these boards and any helpful input to improve the layout. This is a single sided board with all traces on the bottom layer and a ground plane on the top layer.

The board is 2"x6.5" or for our friends elsewhere in the world... 50.8mm X 165mm. The top layer silk screen is imaged here on both sides to help facilitate design ideas and perhaps catch any errors.

Thank you!

-David

Bottom layer looking through the top:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Top View:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm no expert, but those FETs look awful close to one-another to me...

Unless you're doing liquid freon cooling or something, think you want an inch or more between them to allow them space to cool (depending on thickness of heatsink base & other characteristics.)
They get mighty hot :hot: Others may be able to be more specific.

You are probably trying to reduce PCB area due to cost, but something more like 9"x1.5" might make a better home for your FETs.

Re: Ground plane - Didn't have one on my F1 boards, didn't use them on the F2 boards I ExpressPCBed & still dead quiet on my FE126s. But again, no expert here.

Maybe you should share your heatsinking ideas to get feedback from some on that too;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very nice work David :D

It looks like you could push the device spacing out if you wanted.

Did you originally do a single-sided layout? It looks like it would be a simple thing to make it single sided - would you mind if I used your artwork as a basis for my own? You don't have to send or post anything - I'll draw my own layout for etching but will modify for single sided.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Nelson for being the first one to share :D :santa2:

F1 is the only one I haven't started building :cannotbe: (F4 and F5 running, F2 and F3 partially populated)

F1 Boards

Thanks for the input. I've redrawn the boards to a width of 9"x2" to spread out the the mosfets for better heat distribution.

Here is version .92

After a little more feedback, I'm placing an order. Does anyone else need F1 boards?

-David

Top with Silkscreen:

Approximate actual size:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: F1 Boards

dw8083 said:
Thanks for the input. I've redrawn the boards to a width of 9"x2" to spread out the the mosfets for better heat distribution.

Here is version .92

After a little more feedback, I'm placing an order. Does anyone else need F1 boards?

-David

Top with Silkscreen:

Approximate actual size:

Sure, I would take some boards, but where is C3 1000uf cap gonna go? Is it hiding on me?:confused:

F1 Boards

Thanks mithomas, I fixed the C3 cap.

Below is version .93 of the boards. I'm hoping to find enough DIYer's for 10 or more boards for a small GB. 30 boards are $18.00 each, 40 boards are $15.00 each
- plus shipping which is probably a buck in the US for a pair of boards. If we have enough interest, I'll get approval from Nelson to proceed.

The boards are 0.062" FR-4 epoxy glass, double sided, green solder mask on both sides, and with a silk screen on the top layer.
The copper traces are 1 1/4 oz. Dimensions are 2"x9" or 50.8mm x 228.6mm.

The top layer is a ground plane.

I appreciate any additional error checking or thoughts or challenges to the layout to improve it.

-David

Bottom Layer looking through the top:

Top layer with Silk screen:

Here's the final board design, unless there's an idea for improvement.

For a GB so far:
2 channels mithomas
4 channels for Mega-Amp
4 Channels for DW8083

Bottom Layer looking through the top w/silkscreen shown for reference:

Top layer with Silkscreen:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Random thoughts

my opinion would be to take out the LED pot control, and leave a fixed resistor there. That would be net cost savings, and shows some effort in not copying Nelson's design.

It's only an opinion however.

If you ask Nelson personally, he is usually quite obliged.

Before going to the group buy section consider the following -

1- We gotta make sure the circuit works! Of course it wont hurt to get an idea of interest via a WIKI.

With the F3-F5 series that I helped setup and PD is executing - There is a donation towards DIYAudio from each board sale. Same for the Toolereg group buy. It's a good way to keep the site up , in potentially difficult times. Even a dollar a board or something would be cool with me.

I know in the F3-F5 PCB group buy, there have been some wanting to buy the F1-F2 as well.

I have build the F2 P2P and is a very interesting amp. Like all of them IMO, take a long time to warm up though....

Thank you Nelson. You are indeed are a national treasure so generously lending your valuable resources, especially time, to encourage and help us learn about audio electronics.

I'm deeply appreciative and place you in my best thoughts for all you have done to bring additional happiness to my life - and reigniting my passion building hifi audio circuits.

Happy Holidays!

-David

My version of F1 PCB

Hi, here is My version if PCB for Pass Labs F1 !!

This is not as original.

Attachments

• f1-modified-v1.jpg
    f1-modified-v1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,299
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.