First Watt F1 Build with boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello F1 GB Participants,

Please pay for your boards via PayPal using the following link: Buy F1 GB Boards

*** Deadline for payment is Jan. 12, 2009 ***

If you do not have PayPal, payment can still be made with a credit card during checkout.

The Buy button defaults to 2 boards for 2 channels. Additional boards and shipping options are available during checkout.

Please email if you have any questions. Any balance above actual costs will be donated to DIYAudio.com.

There maybe a few boards leftover after the GB closes, but order before the deadline to guarantee a set.

Thank you Nelson for your VERY generous approval and lending of your IP for our DIY non-commercial F1 GB.

-David

Heatsink requirements

What is the minimum capacity for the F1 heatsinks - would .5 degrees per watt be reasonable?
Over here in the UK we do not get a great deal of choice for heatsinks - so does anyone have a link to the style of heatsink actually used by Mr. Pass? I could then see about getting some from the USA.
Thanks
Alan:hot:

Hi Alan,

Nelson has his own extrusion profile and they are not commercially available. The best heat sink I've seen for the mono A60, and stereo A30, F1, F2, F3, F4 is the MF35x151.5 from Conrad Heatsinks. It's cast aluminum and powder coated black. They are beautiful with a reasonable cost. Their c/w rating is .21 and when corrected for ambient room temperature the actual c/w is .295, perfect for dissipating 100 watts.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/flat100_350.html#MF35

-David

hifimaker said:
Hi Alan,

Nelson has his own extrusion profile and they are not commercially available. The best heat sink I've seen for the mono A60, and stereo A30, F1, F2, F3, F4 is the MF35x151.5 from Conrad Heatsinks. It's cast aluminum and powder coated black. They are beautiful with a reasonable cost. Their c/w rating is .21 and when corrected for ambient room temperature the actual c/w is .295, perfect for dissipating 100 watts.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/flat100_350.html#MF35

-David

Thanks David, I checked them out / asked for a quote - it arrived next day. Tried to get quotes from English manufacturers - not a single response - even after I phoned one of them. I will wait 10-12 weeks for bits from Australia rather than deal with people who do not want to do business with the DIY market.

Almost the same thing with transformers - several quotes requested but only one company replied and they even phoned me up to tell me what the various costs would be - it would be expensive as 425va 18-0-18 is not a standard value and there is an initial set-up fee (still a reasonable amount but it would need several people in the UK to buy together and as far as I am aware there are only two Brits getting the boards and we are already talking).

So I started thinking would a 225va 18-0-18 per channel be OK - it would use 4 psu boards but I would hope that Peter still has spare F3 boards.

Alan

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I actually did some fairly extensive research; made a bunch of phone calls, person search etc....turned up nothing. He replied to one of my emails about a month or so after his initial disappearance; he mentioned he was real sick. So either he passed away, or he's in hiding. If the latter is the case, I'd be surprised, he was a pretty stand up guy around here. Definitely a bummer, not the end of the world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.