LU1014 differential amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm playing with something simple; sim says it works. Looking for advice. :D

Attachments

• lu1014 for internet.png
    lu1014 for internet.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,268
Hi John, Happy Holiday's :D
I've been thinking about a LU1014 diff version lately too ;)
My ideas are more like a SOZJ with lower CCs and 7000W water heater elements(8 ohm) for a Resistive load. Playing with the "1 ohm" cross coupling resister gives interesting results. Havent totally figured out the details yet...
:smash: :smash: :smash:

Nelson Pass said:
Very cool. Convenient that the coils have that 0.4 ohms...

:cool:

Thanks, Nelson. It's my trusty Plitron 1000V/A power transformer to the rescue. :D I'd better double check those values, aye?

Magura said:

I've been thinking along those lines as well, just have to figure how to work around the voltage limitation.

0R4 for 200mH, is that something you just found in spice, or are they for real?

Magura :)

Hi Magura (love your new avatar).

Hi flg.

The voltmeter wanders (kinda like my brain) between 0.3 through 0.6. ohms. So, I'm in the ballpark. Also, I was thinking that a slightly smaller transformer will probably yield a stronger output since it has less resistance.

What a blast. I can order a regulated 6 volt power supply for somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 bucks. This little fellow has no tolerance for voltage variation. Regulated 5 volt units are plentiful as well--the amp delivers less wattage, but gets the diff voltage between the legs of the jfet closer to the desired triode state.

It's interesting to note that other members ride the same wavelength at the same time... Universal consciousness?

The way this amp is laid out, the LU1014 runs more voltage than current compared against the triode curve on the LU1014 VDS graph: the sim states 5.4 volt diff with 1.6 amps--the graph curves asks for 8 or 9 amps at this voltage diff. My question to anyone who has an understanding of triode characteristics is this: will the amp sound sweeter, or simply more distorted when running less current than the curve requires?

Zen Mod said:
I understood .... but is neglecting cascoding fashionable , or what ......

But then we would be back to where we started, no?

That would pretty much be what we have been discussing elsewhere.

Not that I think the cascoded solution is not a good solution, but it's a different beast.

EDIT: hey look at me, I am actually trying to stay on topic :rofl:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

But then we would be back to where we started, no?

That would pretty much be what we have been discussing elsewhere.

Not that I think the cascoded solution is not a good solution, but it's a different beast.

EDIT: hey look at me, I am actually trying to stay on topic :rofl:

OK- but if we are eager to pay the price with low PSU voltage , to pray that mains voltage have no variation etc .....

same situation as with tiny jfet at input ..... if you wanna crank PSU voltage from whatever reason , you must cascode it

with nail or with mosfet or with bjt or with led or plain diode string , whatever

maybe hammer is best for jfet cascoding , especially when LU is in case

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:
This is why I'll purchase (or build if I can find a good schematic) a regulated 5 or 6 volt power supply with almost no variation in voltage.

So, tell us more, dear Choky. :D

do what man must do ........ but I think that that mule is beaten to death .....

you need decent choke , decent current through LU , sou you are almost there - make SUSY of it , park it where is already tried by Papa that is triode like .........

make susyfied F3 from other thread ...... if you want simple - use one-leg supply , with caps on input .

mucho flies with one stroke - susy , no miller , decent triode working parameters ....

price is little more voltage in PSU , little more dissipation , 3 mosfets per channel

Zen Mod said:

do what man must do ........ but I think that that mule is beaten to death .....

I for one find this a bit interesting. Not from a "state of the art amp" POV, but just to see what it can be turned into.

That mule sure has been beaten to death, but not exactly using the (relatively) high power JFET's.

....but sure, it's pointless if it's a new amp for serious use you're after :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.