Would the Aleph J work as an integrated? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2008, 11:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Would the Aleph J work as an integrated?

Hi all . . . . . I am another newbie and just getting to grips with the forum.

My latest project is my first ever solid state amp, the Aleph J is a beautiful design and I can’t wait to start building it.

Please may I ask a couple of questions . . . . . . ?

If I was to build this amp as an integrated, would this work with just passive controls (Being fed by my Musical Fidelity X-Ray v8) . . ? or would I require an active stage to attain the full output.

If passive controls are suitable, what would be the best type pot to use (I have a couple of 10K pots, or a bare 24 way stepped attenuator, so could build to suit) . . . . ?

And finally (sorry this is more than a couple of questions, I was never good at maths) if an active stage is required, do you know of any circuits that I could use that would compliment the input stage of the Aleph . . . . ? (I would add an extra power supply for this extra stage)

I hope you can help . . . . .Thank you.

Old 2nd December 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
The one and only

If you are using it unbalanced, you can have a pot as high as 50K or so
without complaints.

Old 3rd December 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for your reply, I will get a 50K pot . . . .

Please may i ask just two more question's before i plug in the iron?

Would the Aleph J give the full 25-30W with just the output from my CD player, or would i have a reduced output?

Also I am thinking of using a Alesis RA300 Power Amp casing (+ intigral Heatsink) for the Project, do you think the heatsink would provide enough cooling for the Aleph J . . . ?

(I have attatched a pic of the Alesis RA300)

I really do appreciate your help, Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ra300 heatsink.jpg (74.0 KB, 349 views)
Old 3rd December 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

From the picture it difficult to judge the length of the heat sinks. In short they are to small and probably only 25-40% of what is required for 100watts each.

This chassis might work for an Aleph Mini of about 10 watts output. A chip amp is another option.

-David
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

50k pot?

How about the Lightspeed Pre built into the AlephJ? I think it has 1.7k Output Impedance!

regards

Alan
Old 4th December 2008, 11:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all, Thank you for your replies . . .

I have to admit the pic wasn¡¦t that good but the one I wanted to put on was to big . . . pasting the link would have been a good idea I suppose:-

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/ra300/fb.jpg . . . . . (I am going to change the front)

The Alesis RA300 is the same as the Behringer A500 (I doubt that makes it any more clearer) which has been mod¡¦ed on this site previous. I am hoping I might be able to use the Toroidal, looks a decent size . . . . . getting big Toroidals in England is near impossible . . . . . (small island, small parts ƒ¼ )

Each heat sink (one ether side measures approx 4¡¨ H x 10¡¨ L . . . . and the fin¡¦s are around 1.5¡¨ ¡V 2¡¨ deep)

Regarding the Pot . . . . I don¡¦t think I¡¦ve ever used (or come across) a pot lower than a 10K . . . . I really need to get out more . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (44.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 4th December 2008, 03:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry, being a little slow in the brain dept , just realised you wern't talking about a 1.7K pot . . .
Old 4th December 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by fustyfish
getting big Toroidals in England is near impossible
Considering how many toroidal transformers are still manufactured in GB, somewhat amusing, Gov.

4" x 10" still ain't gonna cut it, Matey.
Old 4th December 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh dear . . . . looks like I am back to the drawing board with the chassis, I will re-think that one . . . . . and think big this time . .

With the transformer, I was looking for a 0-230V - 2x 18v 400va (800va total) Toroidal, but out of all of the companies I have tried, their off the shelf units barely hit 225va . . . . . for both 18v secondary’s.

I have approached companies to wind a bespoke but they don’t like knocking out single units . . . . .

Thank you all for your help, youve saved me from building a time bomb . . .

Hide this!Advertise here!