Would the Aleph J work as an integrated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all . . . . . I am another newbie and just getting to grips with the forum. :xeye:

My latest project is my first ever solid state amp, the Aleph J is a beautiful design and I can’t wait to start building it.

Please may I ask a couple of questions . . . . . . ?

If I was to build this amp as an integrated, would this work with just passive controls (Being fed by my Musical Fidelity X-Ray v8) . . ? or would I require an active stage to attain the full output.

If passive controls are suitable, what would be the best type pot to use (I have a couple of 10K pots, or a bare 24 way stepped attenuator, so could build to suit) . . . . ?

And finally (sorry this is more than a couple of questions, I was never good at maths) if an active stage is required, do you know of any circuits that I could use that would compliment the input stage of the Aleph . . . . ? (I would add an extra power supply for this extra stage)

I hope you can help . . . . .Thank you.

:)

Thank you very much for your reply, I will get a 50K pot . . . . :)

Please may i ask just two more question's before i plug in the iron?

Would the Aleph J give the full 25-30W with just the output from my CD player, or would i have a reduced output?

Also I am thinking of using a Alesis RA300 Power Amp casing (+ intigral Heatsink) for the Project, do you think the heatsink would provide enough cooling for the Aleph J . . . ?

(I have attatched a pic of the Alesis RA300)

I really do appreciate your help, Thank you. :)

Attachments

• ra300 heatsink.jpg
    ra300 heatsink.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 408
Hi all, Thank you for your replies . . . :)

I have to admit the pic wasn¡¦t that good but the one I wanted to put on was to big . . . pasting the link would have been a good idea I suppose:-

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/ra300/fb.jpg . . . . . (I am going to change the front)

The Alesis RA300 is the same as the Behringer A500 (I doubt that makes it any more clearer) which has been mod¡¦ed on this site previous. I am hoping I might be able to use the Toroidal, looks a decent size . . . . . getting big Toroidals in England is near impossible . . . . . (small island, small parts ƒ¼ )

Each heat sink (one ether side measures approx 4¡¨ H x 10¡¨ L . . . . and the fin¡¦s are around 1.5¡¨ ¡V 2¡¨ deep)

Regarding the Pot . . . . I don¡¦t think I¡¦ve ever used (or come across) a pot lower than a 10K . . . . I really need to get out more . . .

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 327
Oh dear . . . . looks like I am back to the drawing board with the chassis, I will re-think that one . . . . . and think big this time . . :cannotbe:

With the transformer, I was looking for a 0-230V - 2x 18v 400va (800va total) Toroidal, but out of all of the companies I have tried, their off the shelf units barely hit 225va . . . . . for both 18v secondary’s.

I have approached companies to wind a bespoke but they don’t like knocking out single units . . . . .

Thank you all for your help, youve saved me from building a time bomb . . . :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.