Manu's HK Tower & ZM's Silver Turm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So - Manu and his Padawan (Manu is my Master of Hedonism ) came in possession of two almost identical Towers/Turms of ancient drek ;

even Master "Ihaveitallinparts" , AKA Jaccovitty ...... is sorta jealous ..... and that certainly means more to me , than fact that I have it in fact :rofl:

Manu - pictures please ....... (even if I know that you're pretty busy on Uni these days ) .....

just one tonight from me , with one link :

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT2/HK700/HK700.html

Attachments

• hk700-horizon.jpg
    hk700-horizon.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
rarely known fact is that these models ( and probably some others ) are made in Japan - by Shin Shirazuna factory ( I must check exact spelling ;) ) ;

so - Shin made them as OEM products for HK ;

in same time - they're made under ( to me completely unknown ) brand
"Silver" for West German (and maybe some other part of European) market .

differences between HK and Silver were minor - logical in mains voltage selection , DIN inputs/outputs in case of Silver (were HK had usual RCA stuff ) , and few minor differences in schematics . I mean - really minor .

for tonight - there is just one more pic - part of HK770 amp schematic - one output channel shown

PSU voltages - +/-50V for input/driver stage , +/-40 for output stage

Attachments

• hk770-sm-29.jpg
    hk770-sm-29.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,174
Thank you Zen Mod. That preamp and either the 770 or 870 power amp, along with the matching cd player and a pair of infinity RS series speakers was my first exposure to mad path I have been on since! As a note here, the 870 power amp was also marketed by Heath under the model AA-2500.

Peace,

Dave

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup Dave .... Peace ;)

I forgot to say that Manu get them for ~150 Euros , meaning two sets , each for that amount ;

we don't have tape decks ...... so "just" preamp , amp and tuner ;

they're real sleepers ; amp have visible Otala signature , and preamp is sorta discrete OP , with Jfet inputs .

I'll post ( hope , Manu too) more pics ,along with my usual rumbling about "improving" already nice pieces of gear ........

there are few flaws ( from engineering point of view ) but they will be corrected .....

Who needs tape decks these days. I have five in my living room right now. One hooked up to the system, the others just sitting on the rack. I haven't used any of them for at least six months. And it's usually that long or longer before I use them again. Mostly CD's and the occasional vinyl. The turntable is nothing special, old Yamaha, and it probably needs a new needle and some adjustment, so it doesn't get used much. Most of the vinyl is trashed anyway.
Nice price on the package. You say that between Manu and yourself you managed to acquire two full sets. Very nice.
I can understand the desire to do mods. One, we're diy'ers, it's genetic. Two, they are getting on in years. Components are getting old, and there are many newer, possibly better components out there to try.
I suspect from your post that you already have the schematic for the power amp. If you do, could you send it to me, I would like a copy for my archives, and to study and learn from.

Thank you,

Dave

Manu said:
As Manu is a prick ...

And subito came the proper punishment :
One channel of HK amp was defekt ...
(I said "was" because said module is now healthy, enjoying vacation in Serbia ... :rofl:
Pre is also defekt.
(but Tuner is working ... hehe)

Pic shows one of driver board of HK amp

Attachments

• hk board cu_kl.jpg
    hk board cu_kl.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 796
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

And subito came the proper punishment :
One channel of HK amp was defekt ...
(I said "was" because said module is now healthy, enjoying vacation in Serbia ... :rofl:
Pre is also defekt.
(but Tuner is working ... hehe)

Pic shows one of driver board of HK amp

yup ;

that little boardie is resting in Silver drek in Serbia , while Silver boardie is resting in HK drek in Ostrich :clown:

clone is a clone is a clone ......... :rofl:

Yup... thats example of Serbo-Frenchy friendship ;)
La mano in la mano so to speak ...

Pic of pre follows tomorrow... there is almost no light in Vienna during Winter ...
My fave joke here :
Said the commisionner to the suspect:
-What did you do on the night of the first of october to the 12 of april ...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.