Choky Susy F3 for LU1014's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
For those who have been hording LU's or waiting for a balanced F3 amp, ZM proposed the following.

:D

Attachments

• lu-susy-amp-for-steen.jpg
    lu-susy-amp-for-steen.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,640
If you would forgive me :

1) It depends on what your definition of Super Symmetry is. As it is the proposed schematics is basically 2 identical inverting amps joint at the frontend by a current course to form a diff pair. But there is no cross feedback, as in the Pass patent.

2) I would perhaps consider adding an output decoupling cap at each end.

3) To get the LU1014D to operate in triode mode at around 1.5A, the source resistor wants to be somewhere between 0.6 to 0.7 ohm. Maybe you can also get a triode mode with 0.1 ohm Rs (I have not tried), but I guess you need to play with the cascode voltage, and you bias current would go up by lots, so the IRFP240 might struggle with heat.

Just a few minor issues.

;)

Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
If you would forgive me :

1) It depends on what your definition of Super Symmetry is. As it is the proposed schematics is basically 2 identical inverting amps joint at the frontend by a current course to form a diff pair. But there is no cross feedback, as in the Pass patent.

2) I would perhaps consider adding an output decoupling cap at each end.

3) To get the LU1014D to operate in triode mode at around 1.5A, the source resistor wants to be somewhere between 0.6 to 0.7 ohm. Maybe you can also get a triode mode with 0.1 ohm Rs (I have not tried), but I guess you need to play with the cascode voltage, and you bias current would go up by lots, so the IRFP240 might struggle with heat.

Just a few minor issues.

;)

Patrick

tnx for input ;)

1) I see it as SUSY ; tail in LTP is what brings crossed feedback ;
anyway - only Papa can tell is it or not :clown:

2) caps on output are needed same as in SOZ or F1

3) thing to try ; less degeneration - better ; we'll see where triode begins

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just another variation .... Magura like ;)

Magura sez :
big donut ; either 1KW donut , where two 110V primaries are used as split choke , or 2KW 220V:110V autoformer ( it have same core as 1KW plain xformer)

and yes - Magura also sez ( but we know that he's pretty nutz ) - use air core bifillar wound choke

:rofl:

Attachments

• big-donut-f3.jpg
    big-donut-f3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,049
Re: just another variation .... Magura like ;)

Zen Mod said:
Magura sez :
big donut ; either 1KW donut , where two 110V primaries are used as split choke , or 2KW 220V:110V autoformer ( it have same core as 1KW plain xformer)

and yes - Magura also sez ( but we know that he's pretty nutz ) - use air core bifillar wound choke

And...how about big donut with a single supply?

Or, a Sysy F3-lite? :cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: something new ........

Zen Mod said:
seems that this thread will be another perfectly organized one ....

Yes, at this stage I can only predict it will use some wiring of sorts. Other than that I am not sure it will be of any use other than impressing or scaring house guest as some super large Iron array.

I would like to see some thoughts on heading towards something that a few may start building then tweak from there - but I may be too demanding of this sort of crowd. If this is a super-tweakers amp only, I may bow out. I am merely a follower trying to learn, but mostly listen to others hard design work.

With that said, there are some stuff I would like to know that I think has been said offline -
What kind of Bias, Iron, and Watts out are we talking here? I assume that with LU's it's not going to be huge. But the CCS of IRFP150 sort looks sorta :hot: running. So Maybe Steenoe and ZM could help me, and any lurkers with what goals in principle the core of this multi-national science project entails. I have merely some soldering skills, some money and some heatsinks and two bench DC power supplies. I am currently out of Iron. Intelligible ideas by looking at the schematic alone wont come from me.:confused: :confused:

Don't you worry Thomas, that it may be too complicated.

In spite of the fact that this sort of amp is nothing close to what most people build, it's actually fairly simple.

What keeps most people at bay regarding amps of this sort, is size, scary amounts of power and cost. It's 95% chassis and chokes, the rest is no big deal.

Magura :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Magura said:
Oh, forgot your question :rolleyes:

You can get up around 50W this way, it takes at least a 1kVA toroid, massive heatsinks, 6 A bias. From there it's easy to scale down to fit your taste and needs.

Magura :)

Sweet. Thanks This is what I am talking about. Bigger IS better - although I almost always listen through lowthers as a mid-range.
I have some bonded 12 X 12" X 4" fin heatsinks that I can see what they will disappate. Getting the IRON may be the expensive and hard part, if I can't just buy a few.
I do need a bigger variac to play here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.