DC power house needs PS for D1 and F1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am awaiting my Buffalo DAC and associated goodies to build my last system for a long time. It consists of a HTPC, transport, TP Buffalo DAC, NP D1 I/V, 24V Aikido preamp/headamp, and I will p-t-p(unless I can find PCB) a Firstwatt F1 at a later date. I have been getting all flustered about what to do about power supplies? You see I am in Canada at the moment, but I will be building my house in the jungle in Thailand this spring. The power is OK in major areas, but rural power is often dirty and fluctuates violently. I have been using a medical grade AC-DC-AC UPS with my previous system for protection, but I don't have one big enough for everything. I also have the problem of likely having to pay large sums of money to get AC to the land in the first place. So I am thinking that if I have to pay $3000 to get power to the house, I might as well get off the grid! There is also the possibility of a river to tap as well. You see, the only appliances we have that need 220v , other than my stereo, are the TV and the refrigerator. I can buy a new fridge and likely will have to anyway. The TV may get scrapped for a DIY LED projector that could run off low voltages or it can run off a small inverter.

Since I am building the house I can do what I want so I would love to hear what you think. Building codes are almost non-existentand I don't need to do it any conventional way. The solar panels can be had in 12v and if I wire them so that they creat a multi volt system I should be able to get 12v,24v,36, and so on. Even if I just ran 24V icould dc-dc instead. In the river I could build a paddle wheel/car gernerator scheme. Now I have 24V for the Aikido, 12v for the DAC, buy a DC-DC ps for the computer and the only concern is the voltage needed to run the D1 and F1.

The need for higher rail voltages for the D1 and F1 brings me here. Do I just wire a switch to a bank of batteries to charge in parallel and switch to series to achieve higher DC voltages? This would allow me to run a complete 12v or 24v system. Another simple option is to convert to 220v ac and then use standard supplies. I just cannot see the point to convert back and forth when I will have clean DC already. I am not sure what the rail voltage is for the F1, but I am guessing around +/-45v and the D1 needs +/-30v. I was getting excited about not having any high voltage lines in the house at all with all the noise that is brought in with them. I also sleep better. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Interesting situation khundude, But I like this kind of "system thinking" as it is normally my job ;-)

First, how much power are we talking about. You're suggesting several options to limit the power needs of your household, but it would be a starting point just to make a small inventory of all the appliances in your thailand house that need power. If you want, you can add to the table which voltages are needed.

Also, try to think ahead. Maybe in the future you'll want just a hairdryer to plug in somewhere or you just bought a laptop with an off-the shelf power supply... maybe an AC grid is just so easyer in the end.

Second: with knowledge on how much power you're going to need, try to maka a trade-off for the $3000 getting a grid to your house plus maybe a new UPS system. Trade it agains installing solar panels on your roof plus a set of batteries, plus maybe some electronics to manage all that power.

I guess that's a starting point to design a system...

Kind regards
Bakmeel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.