adding an amp meter to a mini aleph - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2008, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default adding an amp meter to a mini aleph

Hi all,

I would just love to add a couple of amp gauges to my mini aleph. Thinking about some of those retro types you see cropping up from russian sellers on ebay.

But I need help. What range should I go for? And how exactly would I wire it in (being pretty ignorant in such matters).

I'm using a mini aleph built on the brian GT boards. The bias resistor is about 0.33R I think from a 16V supply (single supply from single toroid for both channels). I can recall people saying it draws about one amp.

So would I got for a meter that showed 0-1A and is it a case of just wiring it in series with the power from the PS board to each channel (ie with 2 meters)?

Thanks

Fran

edit: heres a link to an ebay auction for the kind of thing I mean - although this one is 25A

link
Old 14th November 2008, 02:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The amp meter will never move. Since the Aleph is a constant current class A amp. I'm not sure the point of the meter. The meter will not tell you anything, especially since the bias will not drift like some tube amps or increase current with volume like class AB amps.

I agree they look cool, but serve not purpose in this design.

-David
Old 14th November 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No, I know that it won't move - excet on initial power on.... I'm not really after flikcing needles like in a VU meter. Just a simple ammmeter, preferably retro looking that just gives me the current draw per side.

..... its mainly for the looks backlit with soft bulb glow would be really good!!!!

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!