Someone's DIY Aleph J for Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 1226271576-1.jpg
    1226271576-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,598
Meaning he's trying to commercialize your design?

Assuming that's so, can someone tell me how to post some kind of negative comment to that effect on Audiogon? Someone thinking of buying a ripped-off design out to know what they are doing, and that the designer has graciously shared his knowledge with DIYers on the condition that it not be used for profit. If I knew that about a piece of gear someone was trying to sell me, I wouldn't touch it, and I'd do what I could to make it hard for him to sell it to anyone.

Hmmm, maybe there's something potentially karmic about that naked line current wire lurking so near the metal case? No. too evil of a thought.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Someone thinking of buying a ripped-off design out to know what they are doing, and that the designer has graciously shared his knowledge with DIYers on the condition that it not be used for profit.

Are they selling off 1 they made for themselves or started a small business?

$100 for alum
$100 for heat sinks
$50 for the transfo
$150 boards, parts, connectors, wire.

It's close, I think. What if they bought everything new? Who knows. Point is they'll probably get low-balled on Audiogon anyway.

Most people on Audiogon know Pass Labs. Just email the guy as a concerned member and warn them that what they are doing may not be considered very cool by the community. Maybe they guy got stuck and are selling off a DIY project to keep their water on. Things aren't that great right now out there. If it were me, I would sell it for less than what I paid for parts. But that's me and I've never sold one of my Pass DIY projects. I'm going to pass them down someday...no pun intended. ;)

If they're building and selling multiple amps...well just another jerk messing up the works.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I couldn't resist.

Sent email to seller:

"Some people think you might be profiting off of Pass Labs DIY projects meant only for personal use. This includes the designer himself. If you are, I'd say STOP.
You could face legal action by the designer. It is a patent design, not to mention you'd be screwing it up for the rest of us who respect Nelson Pass. Think about what you are doing if you are infringing. If you're not, go in peace.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1657235#post1657235

Sincerely,

Vince"

Nelson Pass said:
There have been a number of Rawson efforts appearing on the net.

Needless to say, these are not authorized.

I believe there was an Aleph 30 using the Peter Daniel boards, and a F2 & F3 sold under the Rawson name recently. Hopefully he's just clearing out his DIY collection. Unless a person is seriously scrounging for parts, it's tough to make money at $500 or less on a one off DIY amp - as Vince pointed out.

-David

Joined 2000
Paid Member
On further research, many forums recognize Rawson as putting out DIY amps, not just Pass Labs, but others also. People are asking about Rawson as a source for amps.

They shouldn't be making anything off other's work. And to use the name? What balls!

I don't like it. :whazzat:

vdi_nenna said:
On further research, many forums recognize Rawson as putting out DIY amps, not just Pass Labs, but others also. People are asking about Rawson as a source for amps.

They shouldn't be making anything off other's work. And to use the name? What balls!

I don't like it. :whazzat:

Here's another one that's supposed to be a Van Alstine clone.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1231734503&/Tim-Rawson-100-WPC-power-ampli

Work attributed to this guy is all over. On the Klipsch forum, fellow members over there were encouraging people not to support this type of effort and to respect Nelson's work.

For a little beer money, his efforts spoil it for all of us.

-David

Very cool, Vince.

You actually did what I was only thinking about - good one. Judging from the above posts, this chump Rawson is trying to make a living through intellectual property thievery, and it can only help for him to know he's being watched like fungus in a petri dish under a microscope.

To state the obvious, Nelson Pass is one of those rare high-end successes who seems to have remained a DIYer at heart. I haven't built any of his designs because I am a tubehead, but I have really learned a lot reading his work. I'm amused to see other companies making super-duper-pooper-scooper amps with mysterious innards at higher prices where Pass lays out all of his theories and topologies for anyone to judge their novelty and effectiveness. (Long ago I bought an electronic crossover that was highly reputed; when I opened it up it was a completely conventional design with nail polish applied over the part numbers of the op-amps used. Internal pixs of the kilobuck Rowland Concerta amp show it uses a bunch of LM3886s in parallel. Big whoop.)

Anyhoo, thanks for the follow up. Let's bird-dog this clown until he finds something more suited for his personality, like running a Three-Card Monte game in the back of a muni bus.

Rawson Amps

They are all so damn ugly, why would someone pay hundreds of dollars for one? If I have to look at something that ugly it better have my own sweat and blood into putting it together.

His profit margins are surely not anywhere near the Von S Unifield 3's, but nonetheless it is not his design to profit from...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.