Hammond 159ZL as inductors in a Pi-filter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Came across these while searching the web for components and thought that they might be ok.

Since I however know absolutely nothing about "open-chokes", I searched here to see if anyone had used them and, naturally, nobody had....:cool:

So, what´s wrong with these(?): Inductance 2,5mH, DCR 0,044, "Saturation current"(DC) 10 A.
Price: 20$ a pop! (not that bad is it?)
available here
manufacturers info
:)
Cheers
Mats

hammond

Hi Mats,
the point is that if you use cores that form a closed circle
in some way, you should NOT apply DC voltage!
The Hammond chokes (EI cores) have an air gap to
solve the DC problem. You are free to use the cheapest
choke that fits your bill (current handling capacity vs.
DC resistance vs. inductivity)

Uli:nod: :nod:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have searched this forum for references to the 159ZL (Hammond's 159ZL DC choke) and have found very little. I have also found a local supplier that carries them. So, my question is......would they be the ideal choke for Kristijan's design given their very low DCR? I'm very near to having all the parts for my Aleph 5 and the power supply is the most challenging part.

Regards,
Dan

DCR in Pi filters

I am one of the least qualified to comment, but I would have thought that:

1. so long as your AC supply is high enough to take a small loss
2. the constant (DC) current rating of the choke is adequate

This will be fine. Recall some people actually use RC filters in the supply rail by choice. This is a totally different scenario to a speaker xover where DCR is a significant problem.

Given the cores are gapped & they are rated appropriately, I would suggest you go for it!

regards
mark

I've got several pairs of inductors left from various I made with good iron cores, they are gapped for 3.5 to 6 amps.

I'm actualy using a pair of these gapped for 3 amps with 16 mH on my Aleph 4 with excellent results.

The general spec for these are:

Iron: Silicon laminations M-15
Size: EI 100
Inductance: 10 to 14 mH
DCR: 0.05 Ohms
Amps: diferent gap for 3.5 to 6 Amps
Finish: Metal bracked and varnish dipped.

I will post a photo.

Anyone interested please contact me.

Inductors

Photo of undipped inductors:

Attachments

• inductors 001.jpg
    inductors 001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 557
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.