Distortion and Negative Feedback - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 01:55 AM   #321
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
although "single ended pentode" is likely a pretty good aproximation to a "no feedback amp" - as long as you don't use a cathode R (and bias up those "extra" grids like the tube designers intended)[/url]
You can't have it both ways.

If triodes have internal feedback, then so do pentodes,
since they exhibit a finite plate impedance due to their
"feedback".

Old 5th March 2011, 04:34 AM   #322
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

As engineers we can perhaps argue over what defines "good approximation" in terms that make sense to both of us

I am happy to engage in the original meaning "dialectic" - not that I think we really have uniformly "opposing" positions or that every engineering issue can be reduced to simplistic "two sided" sets of propositions with simple binary true/false resolutions

(which doesn't mean that there's no definitions, standards that have to be agreed - and are agreed by the EE community - some statements can be "nonsense" or "true/false" by the rules that a community like professional EEs use to "construct"/express/represent knowledge )

for tube internal feedback we could continue in my thread in the tube forum?

the better measure of internal feedback in vacuum tubes is probably (inverse) "mu" - "mu" is easily 100x higher in pentodes vs triodes

so pentodes would seem to at least qualify as ~ "100x better approximations" to "no (internal) feedback" amplifying devices by having ~100x less internal feedback?

my tube expertise is pretty limited to having been the only one with any idea of how to replace/rebias/maintain a Dynaco tube amp in a community music room in my college days so I could easily be wrong – care to put up some numbers to compare or point to some good tube modeling sites?
In one of those life ironies George Valley hung around the undergrad program I was in but before I realized I wanted to do electronics he fully retired

Since my education in control theory started with Mech E courses and my career has involved motion control with a variety of motors, hydraulic valves as well as electronics I do think I can figure out diverse "gain device" parameters if anyone wants to “put some numbers” on the floor to debate

this source kind of fades away before reaching pentode properties: Tubes 201 - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

last 2 posts added to Triode plate resistance == internal negative feedback? if Nelson really wants to keep this thread closer to the subject of his article tube internal feedback debate should continue there

Last edited by jcx; 5th March 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 5th March 2011, 05:14 AM   #323
Banned

I sense a bit of a condescending attitude.
There is no need for it here.
The Pass Labs forum is last place you want to come if you are going to take yourself too seriously.
No one cares for it.
Old 5th March 2011, 05:24 AM   #324
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

hopefully the units are still just "milli-Rollins"?
Old 5th March 2011, 06:49 AM   #325
Banned

By the way Nelson is a Scientist not an Engineer.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:45 AM   #326
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

according to implication of mR , seems that you're fighting for mJCX acclamation ?

we are pretty good in neglecting units ...........

ignorance above all !!

Old 5th March 2011, 10:22 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[snip]some others here have as Jan points out apparently have gotten hung up on detailed "semantic analysis" of simplified "feedback" definitions that require "feeding back" the OUTPUT signal to the input ("in anti-phase" seems to be another stumbling block)
[snip]
Linear Audio Vol 1, which will be published 1 April, has an article by Bruno Putzeys under the apt title: "The F-word".

His definition:

“Feedback is an arrangement where an amplifier is made to respond to its own output signal in addition to the wanted input signal and any unwanted disturbances. When the response to an unwanted disturbance is smaller with feedback applied than without it, we call it negative feedback.”

Now I fully realize that if you're not coming from an engineering discipline, if you enjoy building audio amps for a hobby, you most probably aren't interested in such a formal definition. But it seems to me that anybody would benefit if we all speak the same language. Suppose you go to Spain and start to talk about your ''carro" to the car dealer. After much confusion they tell you that in Spain they use 'coche' for car. Are you going to insist that they follow your 'carro' because that's what you think it is?

Quote:
[snip]it can be seen as consistent in a very fundamental way when you apply Blackmann's relations to calculate input and output impedance as a function of "loop gain", when you use Bode's sensitivity analysis, calculate bandwidth, or the distortion reduction/harmonic order multiplication (as explained yet again, at length in the Cordell Feedback thread)

then you can go o the lab and see these behaviors in real circuits do follow the theory

its worth repeating: "there is nothing so practical as a good theory"
[snip][/B]
That was my point also. If you assume it's feedback, and you calculate and measure, and it acts as if its feedback, it seems folly to persist it isn't. Except for marketing reasons

Quote:
[snip]"there is nothing so practical as a *really* good theory"[snip]
Ludwig Bolzmann IIRC?

jan didden
Old 5th March 2011, 10:26 AM   #328
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

It is really getting boring at the solid state forum.

Patrick
Old 5th March 2011, 10:35 AM   #329
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

yeah

triode and pentode couldn't care less what ppl wrote .......

heptode too

and diode ....

Old 5th March 2011, 12:38 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ila View Post
Amplifiers with immeasurable THD figures and other hyper specs never saw a lasting success.
In all friendship, is it OK if i beg to differ with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
After much confusion they tell you that in Spain they use 'coche' for car. Are you going to insist that they follow your 'carro' because that's what you think it is?
Ouch => The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 5th March 2011 at 12:46 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!