Distortion and Negative Feedback - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2008, 08:11 PM   #101
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default From what there is a word here?

Grey is kind and my Nelson, of course!

Rather much to think you provided truth to us. Though as if your message would not have ruined somebody else imagination apart from me. But for me onto it is made to need to realize, how we are thinking how alike!
The viewpoint is other here and there at worst.
Let us see it only:
1. I agree totally. Myself belonged to this category once upon a time.
2. From a technical viewpoint I am unqualified it, that let me be able to analyse the effect of the feedback. But I got into a situation that I discovered newer details listening to an other amplifier. The responsible ones may be the equation flaxes of the frequency response chiefly because of this although I believe it in that manner. They do not come into the foreground only so much because these details are there in the sound of one of the amplifiers, than at the other one.
3. I agree totally. I started the amplifiers' building the one with a good name Quad-405 I with itss production, in the early 80's years.
I was satisfied with its sound then finally, compared to existing factory VIDEOTON and DANSK3F (There are somebody, who remembers this apparatus, kind Steenoe here?) receivers.
But I took it away somewhere once to listen to, and it was said, faithful but good! Good loud one, but there is not a bass for example in it etc. Since then strikes the curiosity, what the difference between amplifiers original factory NP built and than we built here..
4. There are a yes, this accordingly punctually!
5. See it, than the quadruple dot.
6. See it, than the quadruple dot.
I ask you, take it into consideration, how heavy telling all this to me on an English language was.
I hope for it, it is possible to understand the essence of my message because of that.
Previous NP post cited, my opinion, with what the characteristic character of the different musical instruments they overtone they get it, the different harmonic distortion parameters of the audio chain may influence the realistic of the sound picture got back significantly and the spectrum above 20KHz, this was.
An interesting additive, that the most natural human sound I was audible from an audio equipment like this last:
http://www.postamuzeum.hu/mm/1/500-375/8602049.jpg
Directly creepy, this was the announcer only though as somebody spoke up in the other room. This was a tube mono apparatus supplied with a new plus mono FM lane, close up the same age with me.
Old 13th December 2008, 08:24 PM   #102
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: From what there is a word here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyuri
Grey is kind and my Nelson, of course!
----
Previous NP post cited, my opinion, with what the characteristic character of the different musical instruments they overtone they get it, the different harmonic distortion parameters of the audio chain may influence the realistic of the sound picture got back significantly and the spectrum above 20KHz, this was.

An interesting additive, that the most natural human sound I was audible from an audio equipment like this last:
http://www.postamuzeum.hu/mm/1/500-375/8602049.jpg
I agree Gyuri.
Grey Rollins is okay. A thinker & writer & amplifier man.
Nelson Pass is okay. A thinker & amplifier man & writer.
Gyuri is okay. A thinker & Very good friend of mine & European like me.

Click the image to open in full size.
the most natural human sound I was audible from an audio equipment

That one is an old Tube Radio, Gyuri, you know.
When I was very young (late 1950-ies) we had such radio in my home.
I remember spending hours & hours turning the frequency scale, shortwave/mediumwaves,
and listening to all those foreign languages in braodcast.
Was great for one little 8-9 year old boy.

I will try to find me some old Antique Tube Radio
and maybe even with 78 r.p.m Turntable player inside
This is an idea I have had for some time.
Nostalgy - Good Old Times
Old 13th December 2008, 08:54 PM   #103
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default T422 G

http://oldradio.uw.hu/trt_422g.htm

Do you think something similar?

I hope you are well.
I am worried Fotios our friend.

Gyuri
Old 13th December 2008, 09:24 PM   #104
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I do not know, Gyuri.
I have no Tube amplifier or Radio now.
And can not remember and compare the sound.
I hope one day build one Tube Preamplifier. This is my plan
I would love to.
They are said to have more 'ear-friendly' harmonics.
Dominant 2nd order distortion.

Regards.
Old 14th December 2008, 08:43 PM   #105
fredex is offline fredex  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Just some thoughts on distortion in amps and peoples preferences.

I have a wild idea that people who are very concerned with the sound of amps seem to prefer the sound of amps that have fairly high measureable distortions. As Nelson has said some prefer different types of distortion but they all like distortion that is easily measured and is easily heard.

My experience and musings on this lead me to believe that during critical listening the person is trying to hear deeper and deeper into the sound and is actually looking for an 'equipment sound', and it is not happy until it finds something. If the amp has no or little sound of its own, the ear /brain goes deeper and deeper into the sound until it finds something it can latch onto, and if it likes that sound, the brain can then relax and it now can enjoy the music.

There is a masking effect that could be at work here. The classic 'perfect' amp would not mask the actual sound that has been recorded (not always perfectly) and later retrieved at home.

Critical listening is being critical. Enjoying the music and the sound of instruments requires the person to switch off their internal critic and relax. 'Imperfect' amps may help one achieve this.

As I said just my own musings, others may have other ideas?
Old 15th December 2008, 09:46 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

The idea has been floated before--usually by those who swear that THD and/or IM cover everything that you need to know--but does not take into account those who prefer amps with low measured distortion. Another telling point is that circuits with the same specs can sound wildly different; you then branch off into spectral content and so forth and get lost in the weeds rather quickly. There are any number of threads here where people have beat this particular horse into horseburger.
Any attempt to claim that people who listen to pieces with somewhat higher measured distortion do so because the 'like distortion' in some way or another leaves begging the question of how distortion can produce a better image, for instance. The rear wall of a concert hall will not snap into focus because of distortion products--it is conceivable, however, that the low level phase-related information required to reproduce that wall is damaged by feedback (that being the usual way to get low measured distortion).

Grey
Old 15th December 2008, 09:52 PM   #107
The one and only

We're back to the drunk searching for his keys under the
streetlight because the light's better there.

It is true, however, that it's fun to listen to different amplifiers,
just as it's fun to taste different wines.

No comments about women, please....

Old 15th December 2008, 11:43 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Drat...women are my favorite topic.
Oh well, alcohol will do, in a pinch.
Speaking of pinching...

Grey
Old 16th December 2008, 02:00 AM   #109
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

Ditto...

Regards, E
Old 16th December 2008, 02:16 AM   #110
fredex is offline fredex  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Grey, 'pinching' is not compatible with fidelity.

Hide this!Advertise here!