Threshold SL-10, trouble in MC input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
My SL-10 works perfectly in all its functions: line, monitor, MM phono input ... except the MC phono input. It's some time using the MC phono, the right channel produces a strong buzz-uhmmm, as if the turntable's ground is not connected, but only on right channel!. I'm not an expert in repairs but since the trouble is only at one section, perhaps with your help I might be able to identify the cause. The noise is the same in all three positions of impedance.
Here is an inside attachment...

Attachments

• 100a0867.jpg
    100a0867.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 204
This should be really easy to fix. First of all inspect and resolder all solder joints in the MC section - input jacks, connections to pcb, pcb itself. It may even be an almost broken wire. It is less likely that the electrolytics are to blame but it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace them - they are all way past their prime. The 4.7uF caps will deserve really good quality replacements - BG-N will be very suitable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.