Burning Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My two burning amps are for sale in the swap meet forum.

I went through our garage a few weeks ago and corralled about 20 pieces of gear and/or projects in various stages of incompleteness that are taking up space and brain cycles. The BA amps are getting culled along with several others things. It's time to simplify life a bit.

I wonder if there's a market for my first tube project, a pair of late 50s Hammond Organ QR-40 Tone Cabinet three channel 6BQ5 push-pull amps that I converted into stereo triamps as my first electronics project? :D

- Eric

It's straightforward enough. One way is to get a big power
amp with about +/-80V swing (400 watts into 8) and place
the R1 ribbon in series with a big 8 ohm resistor.

The other way is to build an active current source capable of
about +/- 5 volts at 10 amp peaks. As a push-pull Class A,
this would need about +/-10V rails at 5A bias, for about 100
watts idle dissipation.

You could do this complementary Common Drain and with a
feedback loop for current source on the front end, or you could
do it complementary Common Source without feedback.

The latter would be the most interesting. If you guys are that
hot to have one, I do have a schematic and it could be a project.

:cool:

The latter! I'd really like to see a ribbon amp.
Or it was the BA1 (it doesnt seem to like low impedances, while the BA2, push-pull with some feedback does)
hmm...

The generator should go in the high power compartment of the TM5006. Using the Prologix GPIB converter, btw -- works great on the spectrum analyzer.

I returned my Prologix. It doesn't support async transfer as the controller ignores SRQ. IOW, say I want to read ACV from my DC5010 each time it takes a sample. As the prologix ignores SRQ being pulled low, it won't send anything over the TCP port to let me know the device is readable. Polling is fine for some. I dropped the extra $60 and got a real NI-488-PCI off eBay.

Anyways.. sorry for the reply on an old thread :) The search tool made me do it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.