Burning Amps - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2008, 05:52 PM   #101
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

yup ;

maybe ya all curlie wiggling habited boyz , but moi no ...... my curls are natural ..........

I feel like: "Welcome to the machine..."

Hold your horses!
This is how I see it - There are just 10 -15 cases out there in the world that we were fortunate to get. The master worked on them, there are even hand written notes on fets with matching numbers. At least my intention is to keep it as much as possible as is. Nelson used these cases for his tests and experiments and in my mind it has a special value. My case is without power supply, and it has TO3 Mosfets installed. I would prefer to keep it as is, and the ideal case would be that someone has N channel only but would like to construct F4. That way we keep the cases intact we trade sides and we are all happy. I have no use for matched P channel mosfets, and someone will need just that. Instead of holding on it I sent it where it could have direct use, and preserve the original shape,

It is very easy for me to get TO247 package Mosfets and start drilling and tapping holes, but that is the last thing I would like to do on this case. You haven't seen the cases inside, majority of cases are with TO3 MOSFETS in the place with insulators and boards that are even with resistors in place. That is really worth preserving if possible and keeping as is. Out of that respect I offered in the first place to drill and tap a few needed holes for boards for everyone in this group, just to preserve these beauties as is.

Also on temperature specs I see this as a unique group effort, where everyone shares the same chasis, so from that perspective it applies to everyone and everyone has a interest of finding it out. What better place to start than asking the master itself who played with it, and knows how far it will go.

For everyone else on the list, my dear friend Choky is helping me with this project and he likes making fun of me. Sometimes well deserved on my side!
Old 31st October 2008, 06:08 PM   #102
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AR2

Hold your horses!

I just couldn't resist ........ teasin' ya all the time just to see few pics ......

(please ? slatko sa slagom ? cherry on top ? )

naah ... just wait ..... one day , when Papa adopt me , I'll have nicer box

Old 31st October 2008, 06:32 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
cardboard
Old 31st October 2008, 06:35 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen
cardboard
Attached Images
File Type: gif 3d smile 87.gif (45.7 KB, 753 views)
Old 31st October 2008, 06:57 PM   #105
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

I just couldn't resist ........ teasin' ya all the time just to see few pics ......

(please ? slatko sa slagom ? cherry on top ? )

naah ... just wait ..... one day , when Papa adopt me , I'll have nicer box

I promise I will make few shots over the weekend.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:13 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Once I know what I'm doing with mine, AR2, maybe we can swap. I have one all-IRF240 amp and IRF244/IRF9240 pairs in the other. (I wrote earlier that these were IRF744 instead of IRF244 by mistake.)

There are schematics for most of the Alephs on http://www.kk-pcb.com/amps.html Too bad none of them have voltage rails based on 50-0-50 (or 25-0-25) trannies.

An Aleph 2 at higher rails with three pairs instead of six would work nicely for me: four channels, two for mids, two for tweeters in parallel. But only if the 240 can sub for the 244.

- Eric
Old 31st October 2008, 07:47 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default 1/2

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Weitzman
Once I know what I'm doing with mine,............But only if the 240 can sub for the 244.

- Eric

for your future reference ........

feel free to put 240 or 244 ..........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf irf240.pdf (54.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 31st October 2008, 07:48 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Default 2/2

Attached Files
File Type: pdf irf244.pdf (53.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 31st October 2008, 09:15 PM   #109
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Some shots that have the amp chassis' in them. To give a preview.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1224824347

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...42#post1637142
Old 31st October 2008, 09:21 PM   #110
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Weitzman
Once I know what I'm doing with mine, AR2, maybe we can swap. I have one all-IRF240 amp and IRF244/IRF9240 pairs in the other. (I wrote earlier that these were IRF744 instead of IRF244 by mistake.)

There are schematics for most of the Alephs on http://www.kk-pcb.com/amps.html Too bad none of them have voltage rails based on 50-0-50 (or 25-0-25) trannies.

An Aleph 2 at higher rails with three pairs instead of six would work nicely for me: four channels, two for mids, two for tweeters in parallel. But only if the 240 can sub for the 244.

- Eric
Great Eric, that would work quite nicely for me. I am assuming that you have enclosure with 6 Mosfets pairs on one side (12 per side, 24 total). If you do than we could do complete side swap the size will match.

Regarding your plans, do you want to have two Aleph 2 channels in one enclosure or one? I am very positive that there is not enough cooling for two channels within one enclosure for that. And higher voltage with less mosfets on Aleph 2 will burn your mosfets.

What you should go for is Aleph 30 or Aleph 5. Aleph 5 uses 3 N channel pairs and your transformer voltage of 25v after rectification will give you around 34V what is exactly what Aleph 5 calls for. For that you need all N channel Mosfets. For any of them you can use 240 in the place of 244 and vice versa with no problems.

So if you decide to go different rout - F4 than I will be happy to exchange. In that case you will need complimentary pairs.

Hide this!Advertise here!