First Watt at RMAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Redrawn based on your advice.
Thanks very much.

Cheers,

:)

Attachments

• openbaffle.jpg
    openbaffle.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 961
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: You are real close

Jon Ver Halen said:

I used 18mm baltic birch for the initial trials. Then switched to 45mm thick maple. Maple did sound better, it is more rigid. Be sure to use spikes between the floor and the baffle, they help a lot.

Good to see you on the boards Jon. I used similiar to what John describes for OB1 like design with half-side wings (per his recommendation). I used two 3/4 boards sandwitched together. One thing I dont think has been discussed before that I have seen is mounting with spikes. Mine are laid on al layer of thing 'real' wool felt, and a layer of thinker 'fake' felt on soft pine plank floors. Maybe the lower end will control itself better like this.

I would like to know what others are doing.
Mike

Hi Babowana

Redrawn based on your advice.

Looks perfect

Hello Mike

I used two 3/4 boards sandwitched together.

I considered this, and did not use it only because I thought solid maple looked better. This should work just fine.

Maybe the lower end will control itself better like this

At RMAF we had our spikes show up a day late. 1st day we were on carpet, 2nd day on spikes. We had "boomy" bass the 1st day, not after the spikes. Even the midrange got cleaner. I am a big believer in spikes.

On my hardwood floors at home, which my wife does not want spike holes in, I have to put small blocks of wood on the floor ( I use 2" x 2" x 3/4" maple) and then put the spikes on top of those blocks.

Best size?

The best size for an open baffle is very much a taste thing. As the baffle gets larger, you get to lower the crossover frequency and keep the Lowther running the mid-bass.

Bigger baffles tend to close in the soundstage slightly. This effect is room dependent, larger rooms are not as affected as much as smaller rooms.

The Tone Tubby was chosen because it could easily crossover at the 200 hz. level, and I liked the more open soundstage in a smaller room. As they say, YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.