The Amazing Fet Circlotron by Mike Rothacher - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Circlotron

Well, I am in trouble again now, which one let me select it.
I think it, I have to make all two.

Gyuri
Old 4th October 2008, 02:44 PM   #12
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Very Nice Thx
Old 4th October 2008, 03:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Great article Mike, thanks for sharing (and Nelson for hosting) this piece. I'm also fond of the MOSFET circlotron approach and have built several examples, but I have to say, nothing as DIY-friendly as your design (at least as long the 2SJ74 supply lasts).

In my experience, these types of amps offer a "clean and clear" character and (given a low-noise power supply) preserve instrumental timbre and low-level detail very well. I speculate that this is due to their relatively clean harmonic residual, whose effects may be less audible than the (already respectable) THD numbers might suggest.

So, I encourage anyone considering this project to jump in. If you don't happen to have a balanced source to drive it, there are some simple solutions. For example, you could add a quality line transformer to the front end, or build a balanced-out version of Nelson's B1 JFET buffer that uses the JFET as a phase splitter to produce both inverting and non-inverting outputs.
Old 4th October 2008, 03:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am interested from now to this .
Just the usual question about V types of 2SJ74 , that I have around , if they will work fine . .I am sure, anyway , here the 2SJ109 will do a nice job given the balanced nature of the circuit .

Also I would be interested in a simple , but very well "harmonized", differential pair made with 2sk389 to use as a SE to Balanced converter , maybe we can made something out of the AlephOno circuit .

Thanks for the nice work .
Old 4th October 2008, 03:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lumanauw
Can a circlotron work in low bias classAB, or classA is a must?
The Tubecad journal had a very interesting VERY well written set of articles about circlotrons. Mostly tube related in said article but the theory of circlotron operation is the same. YES circlotrons can work in Class A/B or class A!

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2003...irclotrons.pdf
Old 4th October 2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Circlotron.

Since I heard it Circlotron from topology, I believe it in that manner an one like this is needed. But which one?
I do not want electron tube one. The life is too complicated without it.
With a look my weak electronics knowledge, AFCMR would be a kind the optimal one.
Isn't it?

Gyuri
Old 4th October 2008, 04:11 PM   #17
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the theory is the same However, I see some difference in the aproach of Mr. Rothacher's adaption vs. what I've done. I had trouble getting my brian around that schematic at first. I thought there must be a mistake. But, it of coarse should work Except maybe for the P ch FET symbol on and N Ch FET. opps
In the circuits I did, the load was connected to the Source of the FETs along with the - of the supplies.
Very Nice
Old 4th October 2008, 04:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the kind words. You have my humblest appreciation.

When Nelson says I "generously agreed" He means I fell out of my chair, did a backflip, and ran around my house shouting "You'll never believe this!"

Seriously, I can't thank NP and the PassDIY crew enough for posting my debut article.

Now, I hope a few of these get built so Mrs. R will consider increasing my R&D budget for more articles.
Old 4th October 2008, 05:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flg
Except maybe for the P ch FET symbol on and N Ch FET. opps
I'm sure I've proofed the article a few dozen times and didn't see that. Thank you for catching my gaff.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll have to explain this to the boss.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lumanauw
Can a circlotron work in low bias classAB, or classA is a must?
This particular one doesn't have a lot of open loop gain to work with, so its performance in AB will be limited. You can experiment with the bias a bit, but class A (or very near) is where you'll want to be. Class A and low NFB are where it's at.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Berry
In my experience, these types of amps offer a "clean and clear" character and (given a low-noise power supply) preserve instrumental timbre and low-level detail very well. I speculate that this is due to their relatively clean harmonic residual, whose effects may be less audible than the (already respectable) THD numbers might suggest.
Joe, that's much in agreement with what I'm hearing. They can be downright eerie.

Of course, that could be due to my choice of music.

Hide this!Advertise here!