Current from PassLabs amps - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2008, 02:17 AM   #21
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
Supposedly there was a demonstration using a Phase Linear to drive (as I heard it) a small air conditioner. Pop a 60Hz signal in the front and hook up the air conditioner to the back.
Stunts like that are nifty in their own way, but unrealistic...at least for me, because I don't care to listen to air conditioners. Or welding rigs, for that matter.

Grey

Similar to the PS Audio power plants...
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:10 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

If I had the coin to spring for a Pass XA series, i'd buy, but i'd still diy; nothing like building it yourself. Acoustats and an A-75 would be a cozy relationship, with arc welding capability. Of course you would have to build it yourself though.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:55 AM   #23
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

So, isn't it something like a 27MHz arc start output signal for a few seconds? It would also be good for aluminium with AC output But I have one. I just plug it in and it works
Old 3rd October 2008, 08:18 AM   #24
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

@BrainEno,

don't worry about me - I had my lectures on audio engineering

Take the few minutes to measure it, certainly worth the effort.

Have fun, Hannes
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:17 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Take the few minutes to measure it, certainly worth the effort.
@ h_a

I measured the Voltages on the ML gear many times.
The ML-2 run out of steam at approx. 13 Volts and the with the ML-3 I obtained ratings of 30 to 35 Volts and still no clipping.
At these levels you only really grasp at what level it's playing when you try to talk with the person who's sitting next to you.

With the Thresholds S/1000 series II rewired for massive parallel output just like a SA/1, by WBS German importer of Threshold in these days, could clip the amp but not as easily as my ML-2's or the Passlab X-250.5.
The latest JRDG model 7's and Krell KMA-200's series II I had both for quite long time, had no problem with the load of the Acoustat but I preferred the ML-2 and S/1000 after modification.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg threshold_s1000_seriesii.jpg (67.6 KB, 436 views)
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:58 AM   #26
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I have a friend who was very happy with an upgrade from ML to Gryphon
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:35 AM   #27
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

I meant measuring the voltage while listening at your usual listening level.

I'm sorry, I can't imagine that somebody listens seriously to music at 300W output power. Maybe if you're sitting in a cathedral-sized room.

But what do I know

Have fun, Hannes
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't imagine that somebody listens seriously to music at 300W output power. Maybe if you're sitting in a cathedral-sized room.
@ h_a

Halfway in the Nineties one of the founders of Restek Germany invited us to Kassel. He said that Burmester (Berlin based firm) made good preamps but no good amps like his firm.
We (I worked saturdays in a audio shop were McIntosh was sold and in earlier days Threshold, imported by Ad van Meedenvoort, Nelson Pass will remember that) anw we took a pair of 1200 Watts RMS Exponent mono-amps to test them with my Acoustats. These monsters had a big VU meter and a digital readout display for power.
Put a record of Ulla Meinecke in the turntable and settled for a firm listening session.
Digital readings of 1700 Watts were quickly obtained an after a half hour one of the amps said goodby with a smokeplume although the amp had an array of safeguards....
They never work when you need them.

A S/300, optical bias, one of my first American amps, played louder and gave no problems at all at these listening levels.

After that I sticked with US based amps.
McIntosh (Had the MC-2600 for a short while) also performs loosy with my speaker.

So Watt ratings are quite meaningless but you allready knew that.
Old 5th October 2008, 08:56 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I would have bought (or made) different speakers
Old 7th October 2008, 07:04 PM   #30
M4RK5 is offline M4RK5  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, just my thoughts....I use an X350 on a daily basis with a pair of Final full range stats, they have a difficult impedance curve dropping to 1.5ohm through the higher frequencies, they are rated at 83dbW, I have never had any problems driving them, but I don't listen at too high a volume, in my experience stats really aren't the best designs for that anyway, but saying that, the X350 will still deliver considerable power into that load, not as much as some other designs I grant you, but probably more than most folk will ever need, I think my point is if you want an amplifier to deliver massive current into a difficult load maybe a Pass design is not the one for you....but if you value sound quality it most certainly is!!. One last point I previously had a Levinson 332 power amp it really didn't sound as good and it also proceded to burst into flames one evening, gave me and the wife a real scare!...I have had the X350 for few years now it has been faultless....needless to say I wont be buying a Levinson design again.

Hide this!Advertise here!