ONO + D1 @ B2 + F5 @ Duetta 3-Way (all Eton incl. ER 4)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Day everybody!

I'm thinking of building the above mentioned to slowly replace my current (not worth mentioning) system.
In the end I'm "only" looking for a really nice system for my passion, listening to music.

I'd like to do small rather easy reproducable projects which I can finish one at the time.

The Duetta is a 3-Way Loudspeaker based on Eton Chassis including the AMT ER4 with 89dBm sensitivity. I was thinking of Bi-Amping it. Is the F5 the right amp for this speaker? Or can I even build a smaller one. (I'm not really crazy about huge capacitor arrays and high voltages...)
Can I even do Bi-Amping with the maybe coming B2? How about active Cross-Overs?? Questions over questions...

So please, if someone would be so kind helping me out here if my thinking makes any sense?

Thanks a lot!!!
m.

start with building
one F5
and maybe one other for the other channel

then you see if you like the performance
and if you would want to move on
with biamping and/or B2 and Ono

89 dB SPL is a bit lower than www.firstwatt.com amplifiers were thought for, I think
but if you have not too large room,
it may work like a charm, anyway ;)

my personal favourite would be FristWatt F4
but that is only me,
Lineup
:)

I have heard the Duetta many times in a 45m² room with a tube amp (2x30W) and that is all you need. The F5 is more than enough for the Duetta (which is the best speaker I have heard so far!).

I have the parts for an Aleph J in my tinker room in order to drive a Minuetta with 87dB/W.

Thanks for your answers!

I think I will start building the B1 to get started and warmed up :)

Just for clarification since Lineup mentioned the F4:
Are B1 and F4 a good match? It looks like I would need a very strong signal out of my CD player or Phono stage to drive it.
Isn't the F5 in combination with the B1 a better fit? On the other hand, if I want to do biamping one day which one (F4 or F5 or ??) fits better?

Thanks!
m.

Both F4 and F5 have high input impedance so they don't need B1 which is a buffer stage with no voltage gain.
F4 is power buffer with no voltage gain. You need a mighty preamp to drive it to full power.
F5 needs approximately 4V peak (2.8V rms) on its input for full output.
You can find detailed readings about these amps on firstwatt.com (articles/downloads)

So what would I do then for a Preamp?

I currently have a Pro-ject Phono Tube stage and a CD Player and a Audiolab 8000P Power Amp.
I'd like to start with a pre amp and maybe the D1 DAC. Which simple, high quality preamp would you recommend? I also like the idea of using a shunt attenuator instead of a pot. Good? Bad?

Thanks!

You asked:
martinschki said:
So what would I do then for a Preamp?

I wanted to know what amp you want to build:
juma said:
Preamp for F4 or for F5 ?

and you answer:
martinschki said:
Yes

If you want to build both amps it's unlikely that same preamp will do. F5 can be satisfied with 6 dB gain preamp - assuming that you have 1.5-2V rms output from your source device, but F4 will need 16-20dB gain from preamp under same conditions. Of course you can build a preamp with adjustable gain but it should be able to swing +/-20V on output (for F4). Ok?

Preamp shown in attachment will do a great job for F4. Q5 and Q6 need heatsink. R4 sets DC offset on output and changing the R3 will set the desired gain (lower R3 -> higher gain and vice versa).
I tried it p2p with F4 and it sounded very, very good. +/- 36V can be derived from F4's power supply by means of voltage doubler and added regulators.
Anyway, F5 sounds better to my ears and this thing is history - although a nice one ! :)

Attachments

• compl-casc-pre-4-f4.gif
    compl-casc-pre-4-f4.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 544
thanks juma!

regarding your question: dont know which one yet...probably the F5
I think I'll start from the source, building the DAC from spencer with a good looking transport first. Then the Pre, then the speakers then the amp. My 8000P is doing a good job for now.

And for that I'd like to find a nice combination of what goes together nicely and then build it step by step, makes sense?

OK, here is a thought

SOURCE:
Pass ONO for Phono
Buffalo DAC with an I/V Stage (can I use the balanced line stage here since I have the boards at home or maybe the D1 I/V stage?) for CD and maybe HDD later

VOLUME & SELECT:
a logarithmic stepped attenuator (relays) with input select in the middle of a B1 (or maybe between 2 B1's) to have stable input / output impedances (necessary??)

AMP:
active crossovers (http://www.kk-pcb.com/3-way.html ??)
3 Amps (witch one?) for each Speaker to drive:
Eton ER4
Eton 7-360/37 HEX
Eton 11-581/50 HEX

Does any of this make sense?
(Please don't hit me if not)

seems nice setup.I really doubt that 30wats will do.its all depends on how you listning music. I have few speakers with ER4 and its pretty unsensitive. I tried to hook up aleph3 and yes 89db plays. if you listen music for background or vocals,jaz its OK. but if you like to hear full orchestra sound I would look for more than this. 60w is minimum and 100-150w is optimum. its not about sound spl its about effortless sound..

well, since I would use 3 Amps (F5) for each channel it would be 90 watt, right? That should be enough...
On the other hand, heat dissipation would be brutal, wouldn't it?

There are so many experienced DIY'er here, so I thought together we can find a combination which will work, and if I want to replace something in the future, I can. (but I don't have to)

Therefore I need to find out if that concept of mine will work....
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.