Aleph 5 bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
I don't quite understand why you want to do that. I doubt the amp would work at all with it shorted out. Raising the resistance of R-19 increases the bias, and the current through the devices. Lowering the bias does exactly the opposite and the result would be poor linearity of the amplifier.
Mark

Mark,

Doesn't Billy mean: leaving R19 out instead of using a jumper?

Greetings

Jan

Dan,

over a certain value R19 won´t be doing anything (same as leaving it out). This will give you between 2.2 and 3 A depending on used fets.

If you want more you´ll have to use source resistors that are lower in value (0,68R or 0,47R), put in R19 again and fine tune with this.

I think it´s no problem to go over 30watts per device as long as your heatsinktemperature is low enough and the fets are still in the safe operating area. I would stay below 100°C but they are specified for 150°. I think Nelson said something like "using them at 50watts on a 70° heatsink will see some failures"

For an Aleph 5 with 6 fets this means you can easily dissipate 180-240 watts per channel (bias is then watts/powersupplyvoltage).

william

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.