Mini Aleph-X? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Aleph-X?

I'm working with a friend to build my first Nelson Pass project. I had originally planned on building an Aleph 30 based off of BrianGT's boards. This weekend, my friend countered my idea, suggesting we attempt to use these boards for an Aleph-X project. The Aleph-X project sounds amazing, I don't have the best technical background and hadn't really understood Super Symmetry until he explained it. Now that I'm hooked on it (and have only just recently acquired a true balanced source), I'd like to build the project but am worried about the high cost of components (massive heatsinks and torroids). I had an "a ha" moment this weekend when I thought that maybe I could scale back the Aleph 30 design in this project to a Mini-Aleph and still incorporate super symmetry. Any thoughts on this? I searched the forums for a Mini Aleph-X and didn't find anything.
Old 1st September 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

SystemError,

If you have limited experience, try making hifizen's AX. HifiZen's AX Board Thread

Power wise it's a little more than an A30, if memory serves me well. The AX's are more difficult to build and many builders have challenges getting the DC offset tuned correctly. hifizen's boards use about the same heatsinking as the A30, but could be run with a lower rail voltage and bias for lower power.

If you are relatively new, the A30 with Brian's boards are an easier first project. Consider the efficiency and load of your speakers as well. The A30 is much better in to 4 ohms than the AX.

It a matter of taste, but some still consider the A30's better sounding. The AX is different, not necessarily better. Really depends on your style of music and the remainder of your set-up.

I placed a few AX links into the favorites thread at the top of the forum to consider reading first.

-David
Old 1st September 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you read the original Aleph-X thread you'll find that it was, in fact, a "Mini Aleph-X" in that it was two Mini-As back to back. There have been seventy-'leven other version posted since the original thread, but you might find it useful to go back to the beginning so as not to reinvent the wheel.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!