Choosing R in CRC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm finishing up my ZV4. I had originally intended to use a CLC filter on the PSU, but I have no room to spare for a big coil. I do have room for a power resistor tho. How does one choose R for a CRC. In my case I have 2x10,000uF followed by a resistor followed by 2 x 10,000uF.
Does a CRC-filter in the ZenV4 with it´s regulator make sense anyway?:scratch:

Jens

mrothacher said:
I'm finishing up my ZV4. I had originally intended to use a CLC filter on the PSU, but I have no room to spare for a big coil. I do have room for a power resistor tho. How does one choose R for a CRC. In my case I have 2x10,000uF followed by a resistor followed by 2 x 10,000uF.

If you built the ZV4 with the regulated power supply, CRC is just a waste of power as heat for a very questionable gain in performance. Don't get me wrong it most likley will not hurt anything, it just isn't going to help much. A CLC on the other hand will give the regulator more headroom to work with because of the ripple reduction on the second Cap and improve AC line noise rejection. I don't think you will need it though.

Just my 2 cents

Later
Bruce

:geezer:

HI,

I can only tell you what I made on my PS, this for the Aleph30. I have first 2x20.000MF, than 0,33R on each rail and after 2X20.000MF + 4X10.000MF, what are the results: on the first caps the ripple is about 0,6V, at the output of the supply I found only 0,03V ripple, the current is 2A for each channel.

Hope that this can help you.

Regards.:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.