Alternative Active Current Source for Aleph-X ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After half a bottle of Bordeaux, I am probably not entire in sane.
So I hope Nelson would forgive me for messing around with his creations.

Following the ideas published in :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128571

Here are a couple of equivalents which could be applied to an Aleph-X or Zen-2 like circuit.
Values are approximate, only to demonstrate principle.
Only output stage shown.

I hope there are no grave mistakes.

Patrick
:drunk:

Attachments

• alternative cs for aleph x.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 816
Thanks for sharing, Patrick (also the other thread, too).

This Taylor source was new to me...

BTW: I reattached the last document as a PDF instead of zipped .DOC, and without blanks in the filename (both might cause problems -- with my system the latter does).

- Klaus

Attachments

• alternative_cs_for_aleph_x_v2.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 201
Hi Patrick,

thanks for the hint!!

A very cute thing, such an all jfet "Aleph" (if one ignores the cascodes for a moment).

It's a pity, I just have the wrong speakers for that beauty. Some high impedance, high SPL speakers would be best, due to low damping factor and way lower distortion at high impedances.

To get the output impedance down, you can just crank up negative feedback, which was not the point of the exercise :D

Also the stupid resonances in the frequency response should be taken care of by a more sophisticated mind, I can't imagine that adding a Zobel is the last word on that.

Anyway, that amp will be stored and revived when the right speakers come :D

Have fun, Hannes

You would be pushing it with 4 LU1014s per channel, at 8 ohms.
If your speaker is 4 ohms, then you certainly need 8.

So I would start with 8, biased at 1.3A each.
Probably +/-22-24V rails, total bias per channel 5.2A.
Power will peak at 6 ohm, about 80W.
About 50W at 4 & 8 ohm.

And of course you need equal number of cascode devices, such as IRFP240s or FQA19N20C.

Patrick

> My own favourite is the third one, which is not Taylor.

Well, I like this third one so much that I decided to build a quick prototype to test the principle and see whether I made any mistakes in the design.

The Zip file shows the test circuit built, based on the standard Rollins AX with 4 IRFP044s, with the modified current source AND a JFET frontend (matched 2SJ74BLs cascoded by J174s) diffpair with 1.2k drain resistors.

The frequency response shown is without any optimisation and with a reactive load. The small hump can be flattened by increasing the feedback cap to 8p or so. But I did not bother, as I could not stop listening to it for some 3 hours even with an iPOD as source and not with my reference speaker, though I initially just wanted to have a quick test.

A proper A-B test against the original Rollins AX and an equivalent Lindsley-Hood Xed MOSFET with almost identical layout and component choice is planned in October.

I would encourage the experimentally minded to try this for yourself.

Patrick

Attachments

• ax tcs test circuit.zip
    44.6 KB · Views: 107
A really quick and dirty test setup.

Patrick

Attachments

• 080913 ax tcs1 as.jpg
    080913 ax tcs1 as.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 306
hi patrick,

is there any reason why your mods wouldn t work with standard unbalanced alephs with only a pair of output devices?

since i converted my dao to taylored version and recently built the f5, i thought my aleph j could benefit from a something like this.

regards,

-py

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.