Fully balanced Opamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
rkn is offline rkn  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Fully balanced Opamp

Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this, but this project is inspired by Nelson Pass' article about Opamps so I guess it is the right place here.
My idea is to build a discrete opamp with balanced inputs and outputs. My design follows mainly Nelson Pass' article but without the feedback loop. This can be attached externally if wanted. I'm going to make a seperate PCB for the discrete Opamp. Below you can see my design. I used JFETs inputs and a bipolar stage on every side.
Maybe the values I've selected are not good so comments regarding the design are welcome!
one point where I'm not sure is wether I should use two resistors in series with the jeft inputs or not. In Nelson Pass article you have these resistors but if you look on other discrete Opamp designs you don't have them.
I connected the three constant current sources to one reference. i hope it is allowed to do that. I've then that in some designs of power amplifiers but only for two current sources not for three like in his design.

Click the image to open in full size.

Greetings,

Raphael
Old 24th August 2008, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I forgot to refer to GRollins and his reverse engineering of the XVR1! As you can see the design shows some similarities to his design. I apologize for forgetting him!

Raphael
Old 24th August 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, added some further stuff and changed some values. The "biggest" change is, that there is now a current mirror inserted into the dif pair.

Greetings,

Raphael
Old 25th August 2008, 06:16 AM   #4
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Schematic?
Old 25th August 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Schematic? You shoul dbe able to see the first version in my first post.
For the new version with the added stuff I#ll post the schematic later this day when I'm back at home.

Raphael
Old 25th August 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Before worrying about parts values, you're going to need to make at least one change. Each output will need a resistor to ground, feedback to the front end, or both. As it stands now, you'll have uncontrollable DC offset and horrendous amounts of gain (on the order of 60-80 dB).

Grey
Old 25th August 2008, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, the idea was to place these feedback resisistors on the mainboard where I want to plug in my OPamp. But yesterday I found out that I have some space left on the OPamp PCB so that there is no big problem to place two additional feedback resistors.

Raphael
Old 25th August 2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Tim__x is offline Tim__x  Canada
diyAudio Member

You need a common-mode feedback loop.
Old 26th August 2008, 01:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It wouldn't be any problem to run the circuit with zero feedback. There are other ways to attend to the DC offset. But if feedback was the original intention, then that's easily enough arranged.

Grey
Old 26th August 2008, 02:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok, here is the new version. I added feedback resistors like Nelson Pass demonstrates it in his paper and I removed the 1M00 to gound at the inputs because I think they are not needed when I add feedback like now.
Comments?

Raphael

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!