Some other Source Follower Configurations

Hi Patrick,
The "standard" buffer with the k170/j74 (as per the Fig 16B in the "New Frontiers" article) is working well and sounds like "nuthin' at all" (!) - excellent!
The amp changes it's sound quite a bit with extra output series resistance - about 60R for the AKG k701s - bit unexpected.

Is there anything to be gained by fitting IRF610s instead of the IRFP240s? Curious.

Had a better look at the O'Toole regs as per the D1 O/P stage - simpler than initially appearances - could it be be stretched to 400mA and to also feed the buffer?

Sorry Patrick,
I meant that I used the little jfets for the lightspeed buffer and it didn't add any extra colour to the sound.

Modded the original p-p DOA unit to your Taylor version and it is working okay, and simply tried an extra o/p resistor to hear what, if anything, happened with the701s.

The Lightspeed + buffer has a rather different sound to the P/L X2.5 preamp, as you can imagine.

the 610s? have matched sets on sinks from previous h.amp.

the O'Toole supply? improvement to the present R-C-R-C + Cmultiplier?

Is there anything to be gained by fitting IRF610s instead of the IRFP240s?

No. They're just used as cascodes, so have little impact on sound overall and 2nd the 240 has a much larger package - you saw that, right? and is therefore easier to cool than the smallish 610.

Matching fets in cascodes is not necessary.

If you want something fancy at this position, you can use Toshiba-Fets or Hitachi-laterals. Or bipolars. But remember to use a large package (not TO-220).

Have fun, Hannes

jameshillj said:

the O'Toole supply? improvement to the present R-C-R-C + Cmultiplier?

Hi James.
You can probably make that work, but I am not sure at all, that it is worth the trouble.
The DAO runs absolutely without noise from a simple supply, and I beleive that is the fastest and most responsive psu. If the DAO did need a cleaned up/regulated supply then it would be great to use a shunt regulator like the Toolereg. Nothing wrong to try it out, though.

:)

Another Source follower type - I'm currently using this in my test preamp ( just back from Burning Amp) as a unity gain line amp. A discrete Darlington with some nice modern bipolars would probably do better than than integrated one I used, though the GE D40K/D41KDarlington series was pretty fast in its day. I have a partially stuffed board in the basement (waiting for some more attention) to see if that is true. The TO-202 packaged Darlington with its long tab made it possible to run it without using a heat sink. The MPF960 uses a TO-92L package, so it is possible to run it with a good deal of bias current without a sink as well.

Attachments

• cmp_buf.gif
    cmp_buf.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,546
> I would be quite keen to make the DAO with Taylor mod, where can you get the parts for this amp? I Can I use a j74 instead of J103 or is it too much voltage?

No you cannot, because you need a P-JFET with a low transconductance. If you talk to Steen nicely, maybe he can help with 2SJ103s. :)

> Does anyone sell loveltech fets and the constant current diodes?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1646552#post1646552

Just in time. Lucky you.

Failing that :
http://www.audioprojekte.de/html/semiconductors.html

Get them while you can. They are amazing devices, if you use them right.

Patrick

Patrick,
He hasn't actually got any of the 12,000 yet and he's been "Doing the Deal" for quite a while now and you know the saying about things "inthe mail"! - sorry Dave.

Seriously, I wouldn't imagine they're quality control rejects or production-end discards - a quick random test will tell all.

Good price for matched - tolerance is ..?

EUVL said:
>

No you cannot, because you need a P-JFET with a low transconductance. If you talk to Steen nicely, maybe he can help with 2SJ103s. :)

Patrick

Luke;
No problemo at all:) But a little warning is appropriate! I ordered 30 pcs at first and barely managed to get 2 matched pairs. I was probably just unlucky, 'cause usually the Toshiba's just keep rolling up matching devices. Matching/measuring my stock of 389/109's spawned several quads within 1%:cool: Man, did they match!
Well, I can get a few hundred of those 2SJ103's, in case you want some. Just shoot me a mail.

:)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is there any other alternative to the J511? I've read some other threads saying that you can use another 25V jfet with gate and source tied together with a resistor in front of it, but I have no idea what jfet and resistor value to use

Would anyone please be able to help with a modified version without the J511?

Someone asked about modifications to the DAO follower as built by Steen.

This is the version with the Taylor Current Source.
The 2SJ103 should have about 8mA Idss.

Depending on JFET Vgs variations, the resistor values might need adjusting. I should start with a 1k trimpot for R1 to set DC offset to zero first.

Hope you'll build this. Total dissipation about 15W.

Patrick

Hi hi

Can anybody let me know if:
1) Is this the last alteration of this circuit?
2) A headamp? If so, around 1w output?