Some other Source Follower Configurations

dont know if you mean low bass quantity or bass extension...

i believe, with my ears, that the bass is not at all overly or under emphazise, but i can assure you you that i already heard pretty low bass notes. and the bass can be quite impactful, almost on par with grados grado if driven properly. it doesnt sound quite as full as the k701, so they might not be the best for bass oriented music or orchestral performances, but overall i find the bass accurate but not as natural and extended as the k701 but definitely more extended than grados. a recabling also helps the bass performance a lot.

edit: i did not compared to hd600, but i ve never heard the hd595 begging for a break, even with the heaviest music

Last edited:
if you can find them, it sounds to me like the grado HF-2 would be a perfect fit for you and this amp. they are like grado and denon D5000's lovechild. seriously excellent headphones. I dont like grados normally, even the GS1000, bass is lacking, high end a touch grating and too midcentric for me; not so with the HF2.

I spend a lot of time listening to headphones and modding them as part of my work, the modded D2000 is almost there at the level of the D7000 stock and well above the stock D5000 IMO, no point modding the D5000 if you are replacing the cups, sorry forgot, no modding. mine are partial mod (balanced, pads stuffed, cups damped and frame partially damped), full mod sucks too much of the fun out of them.

well yeah the HF2 would work well, you could even buy the D2000 and use them as is until you get back, then mod them. never heard an AKG I liked, even through pretty serious headphone gear I just cant connect with them, technically sound but soulless IMO, all but the highest priced audio technica are the same for me, I like the T1 (and its sexy as hell!), but below that I dont like them, nothing visceral about them. Senns HD600 do not have to be that one step back, balanced with a good amp they are excellent and dynamic sounding headphones, quite comfy too. 650's on the other hand I dont like so much.

to reiterate based on your words I would say get the HF2 if you can and they will also become a collectors item if you look after them.

but yes on te other hand, try as many as you can, if you had time and there was a remote possibility it might happen, I would suggest going to a headfi meet to try out some more unusual stuff before you buy, and realistically you wont find HF2 anywhere but there and maybe Ken Balls shop to demo, you would have to just buy them unheard. even listening in shops only gives you an inkling of what they will sound like at home, the amps supplied in shops are usually not up to the task, but it should give you an idea on flavor.

but then suggesting someone go to a headfi meet is an evil suggestion for your wallet :devilr:

Last edited:
apples to apples

Due to the fact that manufacturers can't seem to agree on how to publish Headphone sensitivity. I have put together more meaningful data for the headphones previously discussed.
If there are mistakes please let me know, and I will update it.
Anyway see the attachments for the results.

Attachments

• apples to apples.JPG
    apples to apples.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 515
  • apples to apples.zip
    5 KB · Views: 111
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,
could you explain your reasoning?

Hi Andrew,

Based on my subjective experience that most low impedance headphones tend to create a better sensation of bottom register presence and mid bass fullness when the drive is right, I have thought that it relates to the way their manufacturers take advantage of the extra current VS high impedance headphones in the motor design. Given that BL is Tesla meters related to current and Force Factor is BL/MMs when they would not add as much coil length to higher impedance motors that would have a strong impact on MMs for same BL, or much larger magnets due to size and mass of average cans, then they must be using higher resistance coil wire mainly. That would impact FF, Qe, Qt. Now, when 600 Ohm cans are a studio standard so to use many in parallel in the foldback mix having also EQ in their hands and strong dBV pro outputs, no problem. Using low impedance headphones, especially where there is a high current buffer drive hence the distortion is kept low, is best not only for sensitivity without extra voltage gain stage between source and buffer, but also utilizing the more subjectively ''full'' low Z cans variety.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many other design factors come to play. Open back, closed back, manufacturers diaphragm manipulation and general voicing, having the voltage output to properly judge high Z etc. All things kept relative I think that higher current gives a better chance to stronger motor, lower Q transducer design. IMHO, YMMV.

P.S. I see 250 Ohm standard and 32, 600 Ohm alternatives in Beyer's webpage.

.and don't forget the added flexibility of adjusting the load on the amp by inserting a series resistor - for example, adding a 56R resistor in seroes with the "aforementioned" (always wanted to write that!) k701 phone does change the balance of the sound quite a bit, but on the Beyer 880s or Senn 650s, it isn't right (with the T-DOA follower, that is)just - this is a rather personal hearing thing and not many folks here agree on the same loading with the different phones ....

It's a rather curious thing, really, and doesn't seem to have any particular 'rhyme or reason' to it.

sure sure, was kinda my point; but the beyers kinda fly in the face of it from my experience. 3 different models all exactly the same closed design, except for 2 resistors per ear setting the impedance. they all sound different and the 600 ohms version sounds fuller to these ears.

Ah, there you go, there IS a reason for this particular thing after all - thanks Salas.

I can say for sure, the T-DAO mates perfectly with your v1 Shunt Reg running at 260mA for the follower and another 120mA thru the shunt - a very different headamp to the basic C-R-C supply - working on a Cavalli OCL valve buffer in front of it and will be rather interesting just how well it all comes together .....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Due to the fact that manufacturers can't seem to agree on how to publish Headphone sensitivity. I have put together more meaningful data for the headphones previously discussed.
If there are mistakes please let me know, and I will update it.
Anyway see the attachments for the results.

Thanks for your calc effort. Something wrong in the Grado calc?

haha its headphone corner!! :cool: it is indeed the same transducer. its the same headphone (DT880), just different impedance models and the only difference between them is the 25 ohms version has nothing, just the driver impedance, the 250 and 600r models have resistors across the driver/cable pads. the T1 flagship has them built into the termination area near the pads.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Added resistance lessens damping, goes without saying, going to come across ripe. Must be losing some sensitivity due to the voltage division too. Although talking a bit of what cans for this buffer ties naturally, more will be much OT, thus I am out, good luck with DAO and best cans matches. :hphones:

hahaha indeed I think we talked around that pretty well. now to build it and see if my predictions are correct. although i'm still undecided whether to build the circlotron version. need to do more reading on these strange devices

Last edited:
Thanks for your calc effort. Something wrong in the Grado calc?

Not if the published spec are correct (ie 98dB/mV). When you think you have 2000mV from a cd player then it becomes pretty obvious these things will be very loud at max output from cd player.
I suppose this is why they can be run out of an ipod without issues.

To get the most out of these headphone I would be investing most of my money in a very good attenuator, and a very good power supply (ie yours), since you will be attenuating over 95% (actually it is probably more like over 99%) of the signal from the cd player.

Or the published specs might be total bull poo.

Last edited: