X-Modul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Uli . :nod: :nod: :nod:

Very nice work indeed .

I made some bias calcs and the whole thing seems to run fine on the paper .

It seems 2 mA running through each led . These have to be selected , in a low current batch to have the desired value of 1,65 V drop at 2 mA . Seems hard to find practicaly ! There is the same problem for the Alephono ;)

Seems 4,95 mA through each half of the 2sk 369/389 . So I think having some GR/BL types will do it .

I understood that the 2 BC 559 of the top left and right hold the 2 branch following down , i.e. the 2sk and the output section cascoded . So in allowing more bias it is important not to go upper than 400mW for those bipolars

:devily:

And the output followers . I will use some 610/9610 for the preamp version . I wish not to include those in the global feedback , so I will go for a healthy bias for those .

1) is 40 mA enough for a linestage ?
2) to reach the 40mA , is a 2k2 trimmer in place of R12/14/11/13 enough ? multiturn of course .
3) 610/9610 mounted on same heatsink ? Necessary ?
4) VGS 610/9610 matched at desired current?
5)I will use capacitor at the output :devilr: as it is really necessary to protect XA amp in case of failure :goodbad:

To get more bias at the outputs , why not use the BC 327/337 ? I seem to remember they tand higher currents .

Do you recommand to leave R 21/22 in the circuit ? Why ?

I will use external network for the inputs as you said , with a 10 K series and 100 parallel to gnd . And input caps ...

so in that case , with the output followers in place , the gain is load independant and would be the ratio of R 17 / R input ( 10k) ? Same for R18 / 10k ?

220/ 10 = 22 , tension gain or 26.84 dB ?

Really interesting !!!!

Regards

Anael

Hi Uli ,

Got it work !!!

I had those measurements

V rails + / - 25 V

Measure on

R 2 1 V

R 4 14,2 V

R 9 1,072 V

R 10 1,077 V

Those emiters resistors are 200 ohms 1%

I let it go for 1 hour , everything was perfect I guess.

Except ...

I wanted to run measurements again .

Accidentally I did a short . I wanted to measure accurately voltage on R2 , and my probe did a short between point of R 2 going to emiter and ground ( the layout is quite small . Ouups...

Now it doesn't work anymore , I am not happy :(

I think doing that , logically T3 didn't appreciate to see his emiter go to 0V instead of -24V :(

The 2 leds are not on , what a mistake I have done :(

Nothing smokes or overheat

Now it is question to change T3

I think everything else is fine ? :confused:

I have to check everything .

The problem is the layout is so small , it will take some time to change T3 :devilr:

Do you think I need to change anything else ? Zeners ? Leds ?

Measuring at the - drive + drive out points , I have now 1.8V

When it was OK , I had a correct value of 8,7 V or so , I didn't adjust the upper current sources yet

Please Uli your advice on my breakdown problems .

Best regards

Anael

PS please don't tell me I have to change all bipolars jfets leds zeners ;)

It took me hours of carefull soldering and checks for no shorts :dead:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well !!! I repaired it !!! It works again !!!

In fact I checked everything . Zeners first .

Using the diode test of the multimeter ( that helps a lot ! ) I had

Zeners showing 0,7 in one way/ other way nothing . Clearly they were OK .

Verified T4-T10 using same method between base and emiter . Same for T5-T11. OK .

T3 had gone . i was sad :(

R.I.P. I put another one in .

The red leds had gone too . Changed them .

Plugged it again ...and the leds light !!!

I have to carefully run some measurements again ( to protect hours spent on that 4*5 cm PCB :dead:

The 2sk389 clearly survived . However , I don't know if good again to pass sound .

I will construct now input network and output followers on an experiment board . And see If I have good current passing through the Mosfets .

Afterwards ... why not listen to it :devilr: ? :devily: ?

Regards

Anael

Hi Uli ,

Don't know if you are on the threads or in holidays....

I seem to make the X -modul work ,
but strange things .

The DC offset is always wandering around . I talk about DC offset per s.e. , i.e. absolute DC.

Regularly , it goes as high as 5V DC , then goes down to 0 and starts again .

With a different tuning of the upper trimmers, I have a good control of the DC , but it always move.

Differential DC is much more stable , but it's a hair trigger to get things stable :cannotbe:

I grounded inputs to adjust eveything . Seems it doesn't help .

It is true I have no output load to the module .

Maybe I should try with some 10 k to ground at the outputs as a load .

I will try adding input network.Maybe without , gain is too high and causes instability in all parameters .

Please Uli !!!!

Where are you ??? :)

DC-Servo

Here is a simple inverting DC-servo.
Insert between output and according junction of collector
of first BC559, emitter of second BC559 and drain (2SK389)
adjust trimmer to about zero at opamp outpu.

Uli:nod: :nod: :nod:

PS: swap OP07 to OP177 !!!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Attachments

• dcservo.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 257
Hi to everybody !

This is my attempt to use the X modul as a real life preamp .

I would like to thank Uli very much for his wonderful thoughts and help in making this sound damn good ... crazy but it works ! And fine .

The 4 * magical resistors are now 22k1 :)

Yes the offset drifts but within a safety marge ( +/- 2V )

The output followers ( basic structure of X amps ) are 610/9610 i pure class A , 40mA bias at 25 V rails .

Sound is .....:hot: :eek: :D :cannotbe: :devilr: :bawling: :bawling: :att'n:

Here is the pic :

:smash: :cannotbe: :smash: :cannotbe:

Attachments

• guigue horn detail.jpg
    guigue horn detail.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 636
I might build the whole circuit again, as I found some 2SK363 NOS I could use for the diff. pair. I figured out that in my configuration, I would only need X4 gain at max for the pre ... max scale would be to clip the Aleph 4 amps :)
Furthermore, I need to re do the output followers but yes I will try single-ended. a 2SK389V could be a nice candidate for the strictly followers at high current :)

But, to match the 2SK363, only IDSS, or also V Gate -Emiter at the desired current ? :)

EDIT: last sample I built had the best bass I ever heard - tight, controlled and extended :)

Cheers,

nAr - bringing the old threads to life :cheers:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.