My F3 Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, like so many others, here is my first go at a DIY FirstWatt amp. I had previously build one of Peter Daniels GCs, but that is basically a kit. This one, I used PD's boards and some of his ideas from his ZV9, but beyond that its all my crazy ideas, which turned out fairly well, but I'm sure my next chassis will have better fit and finish...

Just recently got it up and running, so well see how it sounds over the next few weeks...

One question, what should I measure to assure P2 is adjusted equally from L to R channels?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If we have good weather this weekend, I will try and shoot some photos outside for better lighting.

Thanks for all the great info and especially to Mr. Pass for all the generosity.

Congratulations!

Very nice build. F3 is a very good sounding amplifier. I've built Zen V9 and I don't feel an urge for "another amp". This one makes me happy.

By the way, what preamp do you use? Even though F3 has a lowish gain ( about 12 db or so), since you are using highly efficient Zu Druids, I guess that a B1 buffer will be sufficient, and this combination may sound even better than the one with any preamp with gain.

Regards

Vix

p.s. Photos look very nice! :cool:

Thanks for the compliments. The cap bracket is nothing more than a 1x6 piece of red oak, all of the PS wiring is underneath. The transformers (dual mono) are hidden under a piece of 1/4" steel channel.

I am currently not running a preamp, my transporter serves as both source and attenuation. I am reading the B1 threads with interest, but my other thought is to have Modwright do thier mod on my transporter and continue running direct.

Well, its been running for about a month now, and it sounds very very good... Still some probably need to get some time on those BGs, but it is a very nice match with the druids.

Quick question on the heat sink, how hot is too hot?

I have a raytek temp gun and after letting it run for a few hours the temp on and around the IRFP transistors is 160F or a bit more if the amp if just idleing. The external (fin) area of the HS runs around 125F.

Thanks,
Dan

04dgmsilv said:
<snip>
Quick question on the heat sink, how hot is too hot?

I have a raytek temp gun and after letting it run for a few hours the temp on and around the IRFP transistors is 160F or a bit more if the amp if just idleing. The external (fin) area of the HS runs around 125F.

No expert here for sure, but I've been told not to worry too much about it.

And maybe you saw the scale here - "How Much Heat Sink?"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.