Aleph 30 completed and listened

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Some pics of my last bass amplifier (and my whole system by the way).
Very nice sound , tube like but with punchy bass as well, . To so far a very good compromise. I used to have before a DIY class T amp in the bass, was very punchy but voices were not nice at all
, i got tired of it..

http://picasaweb.google.com/Platesurge/MyDiYSystem?authkey=m_4hban5g8k

I questionned myself now on the fact I put some wirewound resistances (6 X 0.47ohm in parallel) in the set in serie with the load , at the output of the amp. could it be a problem due to inductive part of these components ?

have a nice day.
nwell

Hi!

Nice work, spagheti I, like it!!

Look yelow skribe.

Regards zeoN_Rider

Attachments

• mini aleph.jpg
    mini aleph.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 639
N-Well said:
The inrush current limiter works this way:
When the tube lights up, its resistance increases a lot rapidly, once le bigs caps are charged ( 700 000 µF total at 24V), a relay shorts the tube (about 2 to 3 secs after power on).

nwell
it's back to front.
High resistance at start up to max attenuation of starting peak (surge).
Falling to a lower resistance as the caps charge up and eventually allowing full voltage on both the primary and secondary sides of the transformer.
This requires a neg temp coef.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Listen to the man !!! It is back to front -- yes. Two soft start circuits in one day Andrew !
"When the tube lights up it's resistance increases a lot rapidly"
Why do you think that is ? Tell you what, and I have tried this, put a 240volt 500 watt halogen across a 12 volt battery and it glows the resistance is so low.
Nice amp though ;)

Forgot to say, the main problem is that your compromising your amps max output. The more power delivered to the load, the hotter the filament gets, so the supplies drop.
Then again this could be the latest in protection circuits and AGC
:)

The halogen tube is shorted by a relay 2 or 3 s after power on,
meaning the amp is supplied with AC on directly, no issue
with Amp load or what so ever.

Yeah, I know, not ideal. The truth is ... I did not have the patient
to ... order CL60 to digikey US. could not find anywhere else
to buy those from France at decent price... and since I had this soft start device to recyle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.