diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Preamp ideas for F5 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/125893-preamp-ideas-f5.html)

ejfud 5th July 2008 03:43 PM

Preamp ideas for F5

What's everybody using with their F series amps?

Any good DIY options out there that are on the easy side to build?

juma 6th July 2008 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The one I attached will do nicely - it sounds very good and it's easy to build. F5 is very light load (100k).
R6/R1 ratio sets the gain (make them both 1k for the gain of 2V/V or 6 dB) and P1 sets the DC offset on output.
You can use F5's PS to make a regulated PS for this preamp.
Input pair of K170/J74 can be GR or BL ; output ones are BL or V.

juma 6th July 2008 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I tried it p2p and it's going to be part of my F5 that I'm making as integrated amp. This is a PCB for this preamp:

Holger Barske 6th July 2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Any good DIY options out there that are on the easy side to build?
Anything wrong with B1?

EUVL 6th July 2008 03:01 PM

F5 has a gain of 6, B1 has less than 1, and the one published above 2, making a total gain of 6 & 12 respectively.

Assuming you have no low level source like tape or phono, and only single ended CD at about +/-2V output max. That means a maximum output of +/-12V and +/-24V respectively. Not much left for volume control ??

Of course it would be just perfect if you have a digital attenuator in your source. Then maybe you don't even have to bother with the B1 and just connect the source straight to the F5.

;)

Patrick

woody 6th July 2008 06:29 PM

If you refer to post # 47 by Pass in the f5 thread the amp
has 15.2 DB gain when run into a 8ohm load.

stefanobilliani 6th July 2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HBarske
Anything wrong with B1?
Not at all

Quote:

Originally posted by EUVL

Assuming you have only single ended CD at about +/-2V output max. That means a maximum output of +/-12V and +/-24V respectively. Not much left for volume control ??
;)
Patrick

Enjoying CD-B1-F5 and Jordan JX92S which are 88db SPL 1m 1w , very ok with volume control .

Ahhhh the B1 is very very good
:)

Babowana 6th July 2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stefanobilliani

Ahhhh the B1 is very very good
:)

Very good.. but why good? Thanks..

juma 6th July 2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HBarske
Anything wrong with B1?

Nothing at all... Except that it's not a preamp - it's a unity gain buffer stage - the thread is about preamp. ;)
My source can't drive F5 to full power without additional gain (6 dB at least). :cannotbe:

stefanobilliani 6th July 2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Babowana

Very good.. but why good? Thanks..

Becouse of its sound and its volume control tracking . There is no changing in sound caracter turning the pot , the buffer is no feedback ... . IMHO much better than just a pot also when you are ok with impedance matching .
And of course it is a preamp . since it amplyfies the current of the signal .