Preamp ideas for F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
apassgear said:

Why should you need an input cap?

If you look at the pic of the preamp you'll see no input cap - I don't use it, it's a matter of personal decision.
But I published the schematic and I feel responsible for well-being of less experienced member's woofers - people use diifferent sound sources - my TV, for example, puts out 3V DC ;)

juma said:
After few months of experimenting here is the circuit that sounds best to me - it's the same topology as the first one in this thread but with BJTs in output and higher Id through JFETs (6ma).
It takes the +/- 24V from F5 (they are both in the same case - F5 as integrated amp)

juma,
Isnt 24 Volt a bit high for the 2SJ74 fet.

Had any issues?

bubba177 said:
juma-- do you think this preamp would work well built into an F4? and i have a B1 for volume control duty, could i just leave off the 10k pot? how would i implement that ? thanks bubba177

Not as it is because F4 needs ~22V peak input for full output. F4 already has built in JFET buffer so it doesn't need B1.
In fact, with circuit below you can lose input JFETs from F4 and connect the output of this preamp directly to point where C1 and C2 (F4 sch.) are connected.

Attachments

• pre4f4.gif
    pre4f4.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 4,437
Of course you can run it from 24V rails, but it won't drive F4 to full power. If you can accept that compromise, use 78L18 and 79L18 regs (instead od 7xL12) in circuit from post #53, change R9 to 220 Ohms and you can expect clean ~16V peak output which will suffice for about 32 W/8 Ohms peak (16 W avg.) on F4's output.

Hi Mark,
20k in that position is hard to imagine ;)
Standard resistance markings are:
1k means one kiloOHM,
1M stands for one megaOHM,
1R or 1E or just simple 1 is one OHM.
Also, there is 100m - 0.1 OHM i.e. 100 miliOHMs

So, that pot (P1) is 20 OHMs - JFETs don't have to be absolutely matched, but keep them in the same Idss class (preferably BL, but if jou have V grade JFETs you can make that pot 47 or 50 OHMs).

Have fun !

The post #72 refers to circuit in post #53. The changes are intended for driving F4 better with that circuit.

The circuit in post #70 is intended for driving F4 to full power. It should have higher PSU (+/- 32 to 36V). Its ouput is taken from MOSFETs' drains. R31(5K) is not the part of the circuit - it just represents the load i.e. the amp that it is driving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.