Preamp ideas for F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...In the schematic the source of the 2sk170 is hooked throughout the potentiometer to the drain of the 2sj74...
Hi Evan,
your interpretation of the schematic is wrong (JFETs are drawn as if vertically mirrored). P1 is attached to Sources of both JFETs. In order to work, P-channel JFET needs its Drain to be more negative than its Source (and vice-versa for N-channel JFETs).

Google for : "Erno Borbely JFET frontiers"
It's two-part article that will help you understand and use JFETs

...Will this circuit run on 10vdc.? Could i decrease the values of r4 r5 r6 and r7 to drop less voltage there?

I suppose you mean +/-10V ? You have to precisely describe the circumstances...
As you see, the F5 runs on approximately +/-24V. That's why there are 7812 and 7912 regs to lower the voltage to +/-12V. If you want to use the preamp in the same box with F5 why would you want to supply the preamp with "10V"?

Please be more descriptive if you expect meaningful answers...

Sorry for being too brief, doesn't everyone know all about my system and what I want....? I am thinking about your preamp in the chassis with my DCB1. That runs on +/- 10 volts. I only want to amplify one source that is why I am not thinking of the installing with F5. Anyway thanks for putting up with my lack of knowledge. I'm trying, Really I am....

Thank you. I try....

Do you just love your job? I would imagine it's very satisfying. But also very hard to have someone else take your stuff away!

Back on topic, I'm planning on finishing my DCB1 about the same time I finish my F5. I also have an LCDuino (Amb/Linuxworks) attenuator that might just be a passive solution since it sounds like the DCB1 may not be necessary. I'll try them both and see for myself!

yes, I do love my job....but it is still a job, and only about 1/4 of the work is even worth photos...how many plywood boxes can you get excited about?

I find my f5 dcb1 combo plays loud enough with the cd player and phono, but the ipad/ipod lack drive. This preamp Seems easy enough to implement as an add on.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Juma, (or other knowledgable people) what is the best (useable?) Idss range of the Jfets in the post#53 schematic?

Also, what happens if the value of the volume potentiometer goes up? Say 50 or 100k?

This circuit is very intriguing. Looking forward to trying it out. (Although I need a handful of j74...)

Post #18

Hello, in post #18 by lineup is a mention of use OPA2134 op-amp. Can I use CMoy head amp schematic for this purpose? I use very short patch cables in my system ( 0.5 meters ). Would it be necessary to add buffer or change gain of the (CMoy)amp?
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.