Preamp ideas for F5 - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 04:29 PM   #391
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
The B1 "buffer" being unity gain, may work just fine with those sources, others may need more gain, that's what being discussed here. Personally I will be using this or something like it for a bit more gain than the B1 has to offer.
Ok thanks i need to properly look into what the B1 actualy does then.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:27 PM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you want to take advantage of the peak voltage levels available from the F5 then you need a source that can push out ~2.6Vac (~3.5Vpk)
Very few, if any, domestic sources can achieve that.
A Pearl 2 built stock with a 4mv+ moving magnet cartridge can drive the stock F5 just fine. Lower output cartridges or quieter CDs just don't have enough oomph.
Old 16th March 2013, 02:38 PM   #393
kcray is offline kcray  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default F5 maximum Vpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you want to take advantage of the peak voltage levels available from the F5 then you need a source that can push out ~2.6Vac (~3.5Vpk)
Very few, if any, domestic sources can achieve that.
Hello, what is the maximum allowable input Vpk for F5, disregarding the output clip?

Thanks

Last edited by kcray; 16th March 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #394
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

with goal that semis are surviving ......... or not ?

if later - rock it babe ....... with MV !!

Old 16th March 2013, 05:03 PM   #395
kcray is offline kcray  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
with goal that semis are surviving ......... or not ?

if later - rock it babe ....... with MV !!

sorry ZM, my question was not clear , of course with goal that the semis are surviving.
may be this one is more clearly:

What is the maximum allowable input Vpk for F5 without clipping the input stage's output, but disregarding the output stage clip.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:17 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

tough question , really , only because there is no exact moment when input stage is going from linear to saturation/starving mode

why is that info really important ?
Old 16th March 2013, 10:06 PM   #397
diyAudio Member

Ok, finaly understood what the B1 is and does, say i integrated a B1 into same chassis as F5, but later on decided i wanted to add a pre-amp.
would it be possible to Pre-amp -> B1 -> F5
or is B1 supposed to be used alone ?
Old 16th March 2013, 11:07 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

B1 is redundant , if using proper preamp

if preamp is having highish output impedance , then ( input-volume-less) B1 is welcome addition
Old 17th March 2013, 10:18 AM   #399
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Each Source in the chain must be capable of driving the combined load of the Receiver and the cable connection to that Receiver.

If a Source can drive that complex load then a Buffer is not required.

Any equipment in the middle of the chain acts as both Receiver and transmitter.
For example a passive volume control has an input impedance value that equals the resistance of the track and to a smaller extent the upstream impedance of the next link/Receiver in the chain.
That same passive volume control also has an output impedance. This output impedance varies depending on the attenuation of the control. It can vary from zero ohms to approximately one quarter of the track resistance. Here too the Source feeding the passive pot has a small influence on the output impedance.

Now let's expand that Passive Pot.
Use a 100k dual track log law potentiometer.
Zin <= 100k This is an easy load for just about any Source. Add in a cable from Source to Vol pot. That cable has capacitance. The Source must drive both the cable capacitance and the 100k resistive load. There is a limit to how long that cable can be.

Now looking at the output side. Zout is 25k when the attenuator is set to -6dB.
Feed that into a 100k Zin of the next Receiver. No Problem if there is no cable and parasitic capacitance is designed to be very low.
Add in a cable interconnection and HF attenuation steps in to ruin the performance of the vol pot to receiver link.
High source impedance cannot properly drive cable capacitance of audio cables.

When the Source cannot properly drive the complex load of Zin+Cable then you must use a Buffer to improve the audio performance of the audio link.

From all of the above it should now dawn on you that the F5 does not need a Buffer in front of it. Read that again. If necessary read this whole post and it should become obvious.
Old 17th March 2013, 01:05 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
B1 is redundant , if using proper preamp

if preamp is having highish output impedance , then ( input-volume-less) B1 is welcome addition
Thankyou, i see a couple of Pre's mentioned here, anyone have a favored one or is there a favored one for the F5? i think i will need a little more gain.

Thanks AndrewT, i need to read your post couple times and take it in is making sense tho!

Hide this!Advertise here!