Preamp ideas for F5 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2008, 09:57 PM   #31
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

Smrcilo se nebo od Zemuna k'o da ce g....a da padaju
Old 18th September 2008, 10:04 PM   #32
stein2 is offline stein2  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Oh, common guys, be serious about this. My ESLs sound like a Nokia without a preamp... (of course, if you listen to them over a mobile )

I know there are simpler solutions, but from a stupid's point of view, how about placing BOZ at input to get some gain and go with B1 after it. Then fit a selector between them and either use just the gain stage or just the buffer or use the buffer with added gain. Huh? Eighties recordings were made with a huge minus 12dB (early days of CD) and anything coming from the last couple of years has at least 6dB more gain added to it if not more... So, to avoid wasting the signal on the pot, just pass through the buffer or add some gain to Brothers in Arms...
Old 18th September 2008, 10:10 PM   #33
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juma

Smrcilo se nebo od Zemuna k'o da ce g....a da padaju
that's self-censorship, certainly

anyway - thunder was sommewhat faster than me - I have few hardware thingies ...... hm ....... "fused "

Quote:
Originally posted by stein2
Oh, common guys, be serious about this. My ESLs sound like a Nokia without a preamp... (of course, if you listen to them over a mobile )

I know there are simpler solutions, but from a stupid's point of view, how about placing BOZ at input to get some gain and go with B1 after it. Then fit a selector between them and either use just the gain stage or just the buffer or use the buffer with added gain. Huh? Eighties recordings were made with a huge minus 12dB (early days of CD) and anything coming from the last couple of years has at least 6dB more gain added to it if not more... So, to avoid wasting the signal on the pot, just pass through the buffer or add some gain to Brothers in Arms...
whazzat - serbo-hungarian forum ?

you forgot to say that your cat-teasers are hybrids in fact ........... still without lower boxes

we can make any of two Juma's proposals - they're both good enough and - with proper PSU and implementations , more than just better than 95% of FiFi preamps ........

patience , my wackoo Stipan friend ......
Old 18th September 2008, 10:18 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:

patience , my wackoo Stipan friend ......

Well, I'll let you tell that to my wife when she asks me next time where the fcuk is the volume knob?
Old 18th September 2008, 11:03 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Well, I'll let you tell that to my wife when she asks me next time where the fcuk is the volume knob?

I have few ideas what you can tell her .......... where da knob (of yours ) is ............

Old 18th September 2008, 11:33 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...how about placing BOZ at input to get some gain and go with B1 after it...

BOZ won't make you happy (ask Zen Mod - he built it too) and you don't need B1 - Zin of F5 is 100k - it's like using a truck to move a feather
Old 18th September 2008, 11:50 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:

BOZ won't make you happy (ask Zen Mod - he built it too) and you don't need B1 - Zin of F5 is 100k - it's like using a truck to move a feather

young Steiny meant on J fet BOZ .......
Old 19th September 2008, 07:45 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:

young Steiny meant on J fet BOZ .......

What, he plays a guitar or something...?
Old 19th September 2008, 09:11 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What, he plays a guitar or something...?

Neha...
OUaT "young Steiny" tried playing bass guitar and had a group called "The Drama!" but it turned out to be a "Tragedy" at the end, so, instead of making, he rather tries to enjoy listening...
Looking at a preamp simple yet efficient and not spoiling the virtues of the F5 plus making it capable of driving a pair of electrostatics with enough gain in the preamp stage. The pot itself simply isn't enough because it just wastes the already low output level of the CD303 and similar devices. F5 can easily push around the weenie FE126E in it's hybrid enclosure but for those there is the Stradivari SE with EL34's, the F5 has to be capable of providing enough rush to make the panels shiver if it's required. Just yesterday, I was trying to give some more volume to Vaya Con Dios when I realised that the pot was already turned all the way and the volume was low enough to be able to talk over the phone a few steps from the panels...

Edit: So, one question about this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1221762706
Do I have to match the SK170 to pairs for this... ?
Old 19th September 2008, 09:12 AM   #40
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have few ideas what you can tell her .......... where da knob (of yours ) is ............

The only problem is that she will ask you to increase the volume...

Hide this!Advertise here!