Preamp ideas for F5 - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 12:39 AM   #261
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, Certainly. I beleive the article actually does not connect the output to the output stage does it?
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:11 AM   #262
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
Yes, Certainly. I beleive the article actually does not connect the output to the output stage does it?
Hello Mr. dB and flg. The schematic of the input board for BA3 shows it to be a Transconductance Amplifier [TCA]. Its output has opposed drains and it is void of loop feedback. diyAudio is a fertile ground to share new ideas, and to experiment with the proposed devices. Conventional wisdom has its place. But nothing [unless unsafe] should be cast in stone. The thinking that this is how it was, is, and will always be done is unhealthy and a counter productive approach for this hobby. For example; who would have guessed that Mr. Pass will ever use an interstage transformer in a power amp like F6? He never used this approach before; knowing the ills attendant to a transformer..

I continue to enrich my two topics in Headphone Systems to be commensurate with my philosophy above. Best regards.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:34 AM   #263
neoinc is offline neoinc  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. dB View Post
Pardon me for being dense, but do I understand correctly that some people are suggesting the BA3 input board for a line-stage preamp?
I used it as a preamp for my F5, and it is sweet. The soundstage is very wide.
Personally i felt the magic isnt there when i put it in a F4.

Last edited by neoinc; 3rd August 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:39 AM   #264
diyAudio Member

neoinc,
Did you drop the input Jfets on the F4? THis would make it a true BA3. Intersting that you like it in front of F5. Might have to try that. Seems like you are hearing the F5 and not the BA3 FE.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:48 AM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
neoinc,
Did you drop the input Jfets on the F4? THis would make it a true BA3. Intersting that you like it in front of F5. Might have to try that. Seems like you are hearing the F5 and not the BA3 FE.
The jfets were taken out for F4. However i do put a B1 infront of BA3 for volume control. Imho, F5 need good pre-amp, a B1 is not good enough to enjoy the F5.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:57 AM   #266
diyAudio Member

I did not like the B1 in front of the BA3. MY favorite was Salas 6V6 in front of BA3. I do in fact like the DCB1 in front of the F5T. Good synergy. Throw volume pot on front of BA3. No need for B1.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:01 AM   #267
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
...The schematic of the input board for BA3 shows it to be a Transconductance Amplifier [TCA]. Its output has opposed drains and it is void of loop feedback...
Yes, this would be true but, by saying that, you are indicating, like a current source, it has high output impeadance. It does not. The output is loaded heavily effectively changing it to a voltage source.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:02 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Thanks buzzforb, i am thinking of putting a volume knob too but should i put it infront or after the ba3? Is 10k pot good enough?
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:05 AM   #269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoinc View Post
I used it as a preamp for my F5, and it is sweet. The soundstage is very wide.
Personally i felt the magic isnt there when i put it in a F4.
Hello buzzforb and neoinc. My philosophy for diyAudio is like yours. Experiment, experiment etc. Best regards.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:11 AM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoinc View Post
Thanks buzzforb, i am thinking of putting a volume knob too but should i put it infront or after the ba3? Is 10k pot good enough?
In front of Ba3, IMO. 10k is good, as you have Ciss of input Jfets and Mr Miller to deal with.

Hide this!Advertise here!