which aleph class A sound is good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass amps . . . over time

I haven't had the opportunity to compare, yet :(

But I recall it's been written here that the Pass amp designs have become more 'romantic' & less analytical over time, from eg the A40, 1978) to later Alephs.
Have 2nd harmonics increased??
Again I may be wrong, but does the X variation of Aleph add dynamics?

For a more specific answer, it may be helpful to say:
what power level into what load, over what frequency range, what priorities - would you use it?

If I can add a parallel question: :)
I’ve been thinking of making a Pass, solely to drive the ribbons in Apogee hybrids, with an active crossover.
With only c 85 dB/ watt/ 1 m, about 60-120 watts into 4 ohms, min 600 Hz ( . . bass irrelevant), min 3.1 ohms @ 2500 Hz, priority is “clean highish Hz detail”.
Suggestions for this particular application appreciated!

Thanks

which version of aleph class A amp sound is good, sweet and tight bass?

Hi Michael,

All the Alephs are good in this regard. The other components in your system will have a bigger impact than the specific model of Aleph. The sonic variances between the models is a matter of personal taste.

In another thread, I think I recommended the Aleph30 as a good place to start. The Aleph30 or 60 is famous for it's clean clear bass and sweetness in the upper ranges. In the day, most of the magazine reviewers stated the Aleph had the authority of solid state and the sweetness of tubes. I have to agree that the Aleph has the best characteristics of both.

The bass is very clear. Rather than hearing a bump or thump in the bass region as with my $1000 Rotel 990bx, you now hear the individual bass instruments layered in their individual octaves - Absolutely a fantastic soundstage with lots of air around each instrument.

The Aleph 30 executes absolute authority over the speakers.

The Aleph is not very hard to build either for a new hobbyist.

-David

I googled and the Aleph 30 into 4 ohms, does 45 w. What is your load?

With my 85 dB drivers, 45 watts at my listening distance would yield about peaks of 99 dB, on some music just a bit tad light on. What’s the next level up in Pass power?

Thanks

Hi Otto88,

The Aleph will scale up to almost anything you like. Pass Labs sold the Aleph with 30, 60, and 100watt ratings into 8 ohms. The only real key difference is the number of output devices, bias setting, and rail voltage.

Take a look around the forum here, a lot of people have built Aleph 2's at 100 watts and Aleph 60 or Aleph 5's at 60 watts.

Used Aleph 5's sell for about $1400 on Audiogon.com

-David

I have so many diy speaker projects in line, it’d take me ages to get to building an Aleph, so buying is more sensible.
But I’m in Australia and most Alephs weigh over our postal limit of 44 lbs, so with couriers become very expensive to ship to here . .

However I’d guess that each Aleph 60 mono would be under that limit.

Seems the 60 was only made for a brief period, do they come up often?

If not, how much do Aleph 2’s go for?

Thanks

The Aleph 2 mono blocks sells for about $2200 here in the US. They are extremely heavy.

Try the Aleph30, you maybe surprised how much punch they have. Class A seems more powerful for it's given rating than class AB amps. I'm driving a pair of Magnepan 1.6QR's without issue. The Magne's are 89spl at 4 ohms.

You could bi-amp with a pair of Aleph30's if you need more power.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.