pcb board construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2001, 04:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

wow, this is an amazing resource!!! as i'm getting deeper and deeper into this pit of DIY, i wonder if anyone out there knows a resource on DIY pcb's. i have the art work and would really like to construct my boards. thanks for any help.
P.S. it's for an aleph5
Old 24th November 2001, 05:49 PM   #2
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default hmm

there is many thread on that subject if you just use the serach function. if you dont find any i will be happy to explane how i manufacture my PCB:s

/micke
Old 24th November 2001, 08:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Super_BQ Send a message via Yahoo to Super_BQ
If you're doing only a couple of boards then I find it's better to get a local shop to make the boards for you. There are many ways to etch the boards and for most, UV etching seems to work the best - therefore, you will spend a lot of $$ buying proper equipment. Alternatively if you are on a tight budget you can still draw / etch by hand - but the chemical solutions aren't cheap to buy.

Do the homework and price out what a PCB shop can make them for you. For me, it was a no brainer getting boards done locally and tin plated. You can check out my PCB on my website

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/BLS3.html

Old 24th November 2001, 11:30 PM   #4
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Super_BQ,
What kind of $$ we talking about here? The places I've looked at it would have been well over $100 (CDN) for one board.
I noticed your bio said NZ and Canada; have you got a cheap source here (Canada)?
p.s. Nice site. Nice projects!
Old 26th November 2001, 01:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Prices

PaulB,

I did 6 boards (4 main + 2 power supply) for a total cost of $140 NZ which is around $23/board - also includes tin plating. Max. board dimension was roughly 14cm x 14cm (didn't matter if the boards were much smaller as it would be the same cost). The local shop charged $40 for filmwork ($20 for each PCB layout) so in the future if I do decide to make my own UV etched boards, I can use these negative film slides.

Now let's talk about savings. Converting those prices to Canuck money ($1nz=0.67cdn). We get a price of around $15 cdn per board. Of course it may be far fetch to compare Canadian labour rates to NZ labour so I expect not many people in Canada can take advantages of these savings.

For a home based UV setup. Locally in NZ you can spend at least $150 for a proper UV box. Then you need to buy special UV lightbulbs. So easily $200 on hardware. I havn't looked around in Canada for prices because places like Radio Shack don't normally stock those items (i know places in Vancouver that do carry those items). Not a necessity but i'd buy a heater for the etching fluid which is another $80nz.

Then you have to look at etching the boards after UV baking the PCB. You can use the powder stuff (just add water) or the liquid ferrous sulphate stuff. The powder stuff is cheaper but doesn't work as good - $20/liter. The key to making clean PCB is to keep the etching solution hot.

Optionally, the boards can be tin plated or simply laquer laminated to protect the copper from oxidizing. $10 fix.

I'm surprised where you live to get boards done is so expensive. I was expecting no more than $50cdn each. I sure hope that includes resist plating or at least, tin plating.

Brendon
Old 26th November 2001, 03:53 AM   #6
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your prices sound pretty reasonable. It's been a few years, I should check around again. There are sources for bulbs and things, but I want to design & solder stuff, not play with chemicals and etching vats.
I was hoping you'd say you found a great cheap Canadian source for boards...
Old 26th November 2001, 11:42 AM   #7
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

no way :-
UV light setup, 35
chemicals - 20
board - 10
laquour - 5
a little time and care - free

you don't need a heater or any fancy UV box, just make ur own out box of all that MDF lieing around , get a couple of small UV striplamps and fittings, bobs ur unkle
Old 26th November 2001, 12:45 PM   #8
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

PCB milling machines are getting cheaper, have a look at <a href="http://www.techsoftuk.co.uk/page49.htm">Roland MDX-15 MDX-20</a> 3D Scanning and Modelling/Milling in one.

Theres a downloadable demo PCB layout programme on PCB CAD/CAM page.

Regards
James
Old 26th November 2001, 07:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I gotta get me one of those!!!

The milling machines would be fantastic, although at 2050, you would need to be making a lot of PCB's. Maybe a small business could be built around one of those...

Old 26th November 2001, 10:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default UK Pound vs Kiwi $

"Helix no way :-
UV light setup, 35
chemicals - 20
board - 10
laquour - 5
a little time and care - free

you don't need a heater or any fancy UV box, just make ur own out box of all that MDF lieing around , get a couple of small UV striplamps and fittings, bobs ur unkle "

You're forgetting the UK pound is worth 3.33 times the NZ$. So adjusted for NZ currency:

UV light setup, $116.55
chemicals - $66.6
board - $33.3
laquour - $16.65

To the original poster, here's a Canadian link that will help you: (if you want to do as much by hand as possible and not worry about neatness of the etched PCB:

http://www.capable.on.ca/etching.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!