B1 Buffer Preamp

Pass B1 with LDR volume control

Hi,
I am using Pass B1 with LDR Volume control.I must say that B1's performance is quite impressive. Most important observation is the quietness of the system even at high volume. Soundstage improved a lot. Instruments became more defined & very very clear.
I have noticed the bass sounded very thin with B1 using LDR volume control.The Bass-power was reduced drastically.I get a better bass response If I put my LDR volume control at max position and control volume from my Technics integrated amp.I would like to ask other FM using B1 regarding their experience.
My system: TT--> DIY Phono--> B1--> Integrated amp

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
That's too low. It will be acting as a Low pass filter with the output cap of your pre-amp.

As an experiment try using a cheapie 25K - 50K Log pot to see if you get the same effect.

The B1 will work well with the pre-in connected directly to the B1 and the LDR attenuating its output. However you will get similar but different (that sounds alien) results because the 13K LDR will act then as a low pass filter with the 10uF output of the B1. Not nearly as noticeable though.

Last edited:
What if I put LDr to output stage of B1 as Mr Pass suggested here http://www.dms-audio.com/system/files/B1-Preamp.pdf
"If you put a buffer in front of a volume control, the control’s low impedance
looks like high impedance. If you put a buffer after a volume control, it
makes the output impedance much lower. You can put buffers before and
after a volume control if you want." -NP
Does it make any difference.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
As long as the pre-in isn't overdriving the B1 the LDR will work fine at the output as I mentioned above.

One advantage of having the volume at the input is that all the input, SIGNAL and NOISE is attenuated by the volume control.

The B1, correctly implemented is silent, it will only amplify what is at its input.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
makes very little sense to place the att after a buffer, unless you have a buffer on both sides of the att

I know some of the earlier pass diy pream design had att's both in front and after
but also using special low impedance att (5k) on output
and power amp designed to match, etc etc

btw, Nelson did post a B1/LDR design

well, I think you can build with double sk170, with small changes (sj74 may be harder to find)

Attachments

• LDR Buffer, Nelson Pass.JPG
    LDR Buffer, Nelson Pass.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 648
makes very little sense to place the att after a buffer, unless you have a buffer on both sides of the att

I know some of the earlier pass diy pream design had att's both in front and after
but also using special low impedance att (5k) on output
and power amp designed to match, etc etc

btw, Nelson did post a B1/LDR design here, somewhere, and have been discussed
I have schematic(with minor changes)
can't find Nelson's original right now

Do you think using standalone B1 without volume control would be better for me?There are few others having same setup(B1+LDR) not facing this bass issue,could this be because of my integrated amp?

Regards,
Sachin

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Do you think using standalone B1 without volume control would be better for me?

no, I don't see the difference of doing that

instead of the LDR I would suggest to try ordinary plastic att before B1, maybe like 50Kohm

not that have ever heard one, but I doubt the LDR is the holy grail of good sound
might be a nice 'passive' att, when working properly

but if not working correctly or optimal, it could well be worse than the cheapest carbon pot