Joined 2009
Paid Member
o.k. once again....

Attachments

• preamp psu.jpg
    preamp psu.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 606
Output Caps

Since my Amp already has a Input cap (4.7uf) do I you really need C101,102 if the only function of C101 & C201 is to form a high pass output filter and block DC passing to the next stage ? Any other reason to keep them in the circuit if your amp is ac coupled this for the standard b1 build.

Where DC exists or can develop during a fault condition and it is required that that DC voltage be blocked from passing to the next stage, then one needs only 1 DC blocker at that link.
The DC blocker can be located at the output of the source equipment
or
at the input to the receiving stage.
One does not need to block the DC twice.

The user needs reassurance that when he/she connects A to B that there is no to little risk of damage.
the easy way for manufacturers is to always fit a DC blocker at the output of all their equipment and for those same manufacturers always to fit a DC blocker at the input of their equipment.

If you the builder decides to take on the design role, then you need to reassure the user/s that you have designed the equipment such that it does not damage it's self.
How do you do that?
I have my solutions.
What are yours?

1st. I started another thread and should have used this one. This thread is unreal! So much information!

I'm interested in building a B1 Buffer and using the PCB.

I'd build the buffer and not use the source 1 / 2 select. This would be pretty simple with just 2 jumpers in the PCB to force the PCB to only use the input 1.

The volume piece I'm not sure what I'd do to bypass the volume pot/attenuator.

Each channel on the PCB for the Pot/Attenuator has a "CCW", "W" and "CW" to connect to the Pot/Attenuator. I'm guessing a jumper introduced to this area would pass the signal in full. I want a pure buffer without attenuation.

I appreciate any help!!

1st. I started another thread and should have used this one. This thread is unreal! So much information!

I'm interested in building a B1 Buffer and using the PCB.

I'd build the buffer and not use the source 1 / 2 select. This would be pretty simple with just 2 jumpers in the PCB to force the PCB to only use the input 1.

The volume piece I'm not sure what I'd do to bypass the volume pot/attenuator.

Each channel on the PCB for the Pot/Attenuator has a "CCW", "W" and "CW" to connect to the Pot/Attenuator. I'm guessing a jumper introduced to this area would pass the signal in full. I want a pure buffer without attenuation.

I appreciate any help!!

YES. Just connect CW to W. Leave CCW open circuit.

Alternatively just connect the single INPUT to the W pin.

playing around with my HP 339A distortion analyzer again this morning, and settled down to measure the B1 schematic and influence of the transistor types and supply voltages. Here goes:

1KHz, 1Vrms out, matched 9mA Idss

18V+ 2SK170: thd = 0.00105% mostly noise, some H2 and H3 ?
2N3819: thd = 0.01120% pure H3

30V+ 2SK170: thd = 0.00090% mostly noise, some H2 and H3 ?
2N3819: thd = 0.00120% mostly noise, some H2 and H3 ?

unmatched JFETS
Idss 11mA as CCS (lower jfet), drived JFET 9mA: THD = 0.00090%
Idss 9mA as drive jfet, CCS 11mA: THD = 0.00115%

Conclusions:
1] 2N3819 need at least 10V more Vsupply, but then will work very well
2] 2nd harmonic is effectively cancelled, at higher output voltages, 3rd harmonic dominates.
3]it's best to keep the higher Idss JFET as the CCS.

Well it's very effective buffer, with low THD (due to canceling of H2?)..

Cheers,
Thijs

PS
did Nelson make a mistake when he write in Side E "A teensy bit of second harmonic" .. I would think he means 3rd harmonic..

So, if I was to replace Q101 and Q201 with current limiting diodes, what would be the best choice for current? From the 2SK170 data sheet it looks like these draw about 11mA with 9 volts across them? (they don't have 11ma current limiting diodes, only 10mA or 12mA, which do I choose?)

Attachments

• 2SK170 graph.JPG
    2SK170 graph.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 437
Last edited: