B1 Buffer Preamp

R1 is part of the CRC-filter to reduce ripple of the power supply. Do a search on CRC, a very popular method for ClassA amps.

The B1 has decent PSRR since the jfet is fed by a (jfet) current source, so using a regulator probably brings little benefit. Of course feel free to experiment :D

Have fun, Hannes

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can use this one too. Plays good tunes for my NJFET RIAA. Noise floor very low.

Attachments

• screenshot1.gif
    screenshot1.gif
    7 KB · Views: 1,919
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Compact enough, just warm, won't oscillate easily, readily available Mosfets, leftover unmatched SK170s. Iccs = (Vleds-3.4)/R1 (1W resistor). Start with 10R. Led string of 3 gives different Vdrop total depending on color and maker. Use green ones, more constant. I wanted it ''Kitsch LED Shunt'' so I used tricolore.:D

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,927
Neg reg

That would be nice, if you don't mind Salas.

Instead of the B1, I use a "JC" buffer (k170, j74) like NP's, in the Lightspeed Vol Control for my F3 and headamp (DOA-T) - both have low input Z.

It's nearly totally transparent but is very dependent on the supply - using a "rough" Toole shunt reg at present, and curious to hear the sound of yours, and also in comparison to the "Teddy-reg".

I've got a couple of quick questions. I'm got a few more parts to order, but I've got some 'spare' parts I could try.

I've got 100k Stereo pot, and a 100k stepped attenuator from a previous project. I guess I could substitute them in for a while.

What's the best way to scope and test this buffer?

I've got an oscilloscope I haven't used in years, hopefully it still works.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Neg reg

jameshillj said:
That would be nice, if you don't mind Salas.

Instead of the B1, I use a "JC" buffer (k170, j74) like NP's, in the Lightspeed Vol Control for my F3 and headamp (DOA-T) - both have low input Z.

It's nearly totally transparent but is very dependent on the supply - using a "rough" Toole shunt reg at present, and curious to hear the sound of yours, and also in comparison to the "Teddy-reg".

OK, I posted negatives. If you ever make any, just let me know about the sound in comparison, since my shunt subjective experience is limited. They are posted in my RIAA thread, and here is the
link.