B1 Buffer Preamp

Re: B1

sparky6 said:
Hi all,

I've been using a Goldpoint SA4 level control between an Aragon D2A2 and an Aragon 8008BB. I've been wondering If I'd be better off with bit of gain instead. If so, would the B1 be the way to go? What would be the advantages over passive?

Thanks...

One point related to this question is the load has an effect on the source performance. I'm referring in this case to the load as what the upstream source sees at the linestage/attenuator input.

If you use a 10K attenuator, this presents a 10K load to your CD/phono stage/tuner etc. If you use a B1 with 25K pot, the load is now about 25K. This may not seem like a lot, but I have measured a change in distortion when going from a 10K to 25K load. When playing around with circuits, I vary the load and output level while watching distortion. For sources that have tube or no feedback discreet outputs, it is something to be aware of. Most tube output stages would be happier with at least 25K, if not 50K.
Bob

some/many tube (valve) pre-amps do not have much in the way of output current. These usually prefer a high load impedance, anything upto 500k.
Your findings of a change from 10k to 25k load would fit with this.
Another example is the removal of the 1M0 ground reference resistor at the output of a Croft (valve) pre-amp, this is supposed to sound better due to the very slight raising of load impedance without the 1M0//load.

Thanks and PCB/JFET set available

Thanks for the R1 answer.

I bought two PCBs w/JFETS (NOT to hoard, but to balance!) but plans have changed - I'd be happy to give one up for the same rate as I got them from Pass plus paypal fee if anyone is interested... CONUS is easier, but International a possibility...

-Bill

B1 Buffer single sided pc board image

oops, picture was too large. here it is compressed. This board was etched at home using a solution of one part muriatic acid and two parts hydrogen peroxide (3%), and Techniks "press and peel blue" toner transfer sheets to form the etch resist mask.

Attachments

• b1 board pix.jpg
    b1 board pix.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,036