B1 Buffer Preamp - Page 385 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2013, 08:49 PM   #3841
diyAudio Member

Default JLH Buffer

The circuit that Katie and Dad shows is virtually exactly the one I have just built. The two 150ohm resistors are , instead, a 1k trim pot in the circuit I have. (The circuit I have is in the "Audio Design Amplifier" project in ETI Electronics Digest Winter 1985 / 86). All other components are as specified and were obtained from Cricklewood Electronics. The PSU is from the "low current" section of the ETI 80 Watt power amp PSU with resistor values recalculated to suit my input / output voltages. The ripple eater or "shunt regulator" part is also JLH and was published, again, in ETI April 1994; I just combined them both on a single PCB (well two to make the dual rail supply)! I sure didn't mean to dis the B1 because it sounded very good but, in the end, it just lacked drive and excitement but this JLH arrangement sounds magnificent in my system.
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:19 PM   #3842
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I think its time to let it go now

but post your JLH buffer poject in a JLH thread
that would be a very good idea
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:26 PM   #3843
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree! I would very much like to see the circuit you made as-built. I'm looking for something like it.
Old 27th August 2013, 06:26 PM   #3844
diyAudio Member

Apologies for ending up so far off topic!
Some build details at:
JLH Buffer - Homage to John Linsley Hood
Old 30th August 2013, 11:04 PM   #3845
diyAudio Member

Default B1 Buffer Preamp

I just built a B1buffer stage within a box with remote volume pot & input switching. I cannot believe how good this sounds, I've used a TDA1543 to supply two digital inputs and have two additional analogue inputs, the DAC and B1 boards are fed by Teddy Pardo Teddyregs, the volume pot & switching relays from a simple LM317. Despite the messy wiring and budget-level components, it is dead quiet and very transparent. I'm alternating between Ncore and Fetzilla amp stages to see which has the better synergy within the system, both sound good.
I used 200K resistors instead of the 221K - anyone care to let me know if this will make a noticable difference?
It's an elegant design, I like it.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th August 2013, 11:10 PM   #3846
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
I just built a B1buffer stage within a box with remote volume pot & input switching. I cannot believe how good this sounds, I've used a TDA1543 to supply two digital inputs and have two additional analogue inputs, the DAC and B1 boards are fed by Teddy Pardo Teddyregs, the volume pot & switching relays from a simple LM317. Despite the messy wiring and budget-level components, it is dead quiet and very transparent. I'm alternating between Ncore and Fetzilla amp stages to see which has the better synergy within the system, both sound good.
I used 200K resistors instead of the 221K - anyone care to let me know if this will make a noticable difference?
It's an elegant design, I like it. (I mean the circuit - not my build which is like a spaghetti bolognase).
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st August 2013, 09:55 AM   #3847
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
I used 200K resistors instead of the 221K - anyone care to let me know if this will make a noticable difference?..............
no difference and certainly not a "noticeable difference". I wonder if any difference is even measurable?
Old 31st August 2013, 11:08 AM   #3848
diyAudio Member

Cool thanks AT - I'm happy with the
outcome
Old 1st September 2013, 04:32 AM   #3849
diyAudio Member

Other than its size, would the 2sk880 be a drop in part to replace the 2sk170 in the B1 buffer or would other parts need to be changed? Its specs seem to be within Pass's listed specs.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:50 PM   #3850
diyAudio Member

i've kinda given up on searching through this megathread for a specific info that i once glanced on many months ago. i believe it was zenmod who made the comment- something about adding a decoupling cap somewhere to inject some 2h into the mix?

please help. i want to make my b1 sound warmer without lowering the voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!